AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a remote that accepts uploaded End User supplied code to control the remote. ie. an open-source remote?

I'd like to write my own GUI to replace the ad-crowded GUI that currently comes up w/my Atlas remote. Also, I'd like to add back functionality to the new remote so that I don't lose any functionality in the new digital world.

Thanks!

Ed

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Your atlas is probably as close to open source as you can get already. See the JP1 link in my sig and search for "extender". You could essentially write your own operating system for it (which other's have already done BTW), if you're good at assembly language. (Technically it's not an operating system, but takes over virtually every function). You can also write your own protocols to create any signal you can dream up. Unfortunately, your cable box won't respond to anything but the codes it was designed to take in the first place. And the GUI you're talking about changing is entirely in the OS of the cable box. It's contents and operation have nothing to do with your remote. If it could be done, and your cable company would allow your home-made cable box with it's custom operating system to operate on it's system (which I highly doubt), it would be a huge undertaking just to avoid a few ads. Why don't you just dump cable and get satellite? There are virtually no ads in it's GUI. Then again, maybe you had something along the lines of MythTV or Neuros in mind.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for the links to the JP1 webpages. Very helpful. I have not seen these before.

I wasn't sure whether the GUI came from the code in the remotes, or the cable boxes, hence my posting to the Remotes forum area.

Indeed, I would rather add my own scripts to an existing open source project, written in a higher-level scripting language such as Applescript, Perl, or even Qt3/4 or C++, than re-invent the wheel at the assembly language level.

Yes, I was thinking of something along the lines of MediaTomb or TwonkyVision. Thanks for the links to MythTV and Neuros!

Thanks!

Ed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.