AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to check out the guts of the HLN series.

First of all, if any of you have noticed the trap door on the right rear, it is to reach inside to focus the projection lens.

Overall build quality is good to very good. There are 5 major boards. 1. Input board for video and audio, near the RCA jacks on the rear. 2. An audio/power supply board, right front towards screen. 3. Lamp driver, left rear near the lamp. 4. The DLP assembly. It is centered and a complete module with optics, etc as one large assembly. 5. A video processor board. This has the FLI, DNIe, RAM, and other assorted glue.

The scaler/deinterlacer/3:2 converter is a Genesis FLI2310, which according to Genisis "uses patented Faroudja algorithms. It differs from the 2300 in that it doesn't have D/As for analog outputs, which the DLP does not need. remember this is a 4365, so it appears to be the same as the 437 as far as that goes. Just not advertised as such (which was already reported in this forum. No Faroudja on the bezel must mean on license fees).

The fans are high quality 2 ball bearing units, and the lamp fan has a foam lined expander duct to reduce air velocity to reduce noise.

I didn't dig into the DLP assembly as it was tough to get to w/o removing most everything else, and I didn't want to risk screwing up the optical alignment.

The color wheel is visible from the lamp side, when the lamp is removed. It is a 6 segment wheel to reduce rainbowing.

Overall nicely made. Some small details are perhaps not as nice as in my Sony, but the quality seems to be there where it counts.

paul

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wow. Cool stuff. Thanks for being brave and providing us with these pics. Now it would really be cool if someone could do the same with the HLN507 or HLN437 to see if the boards are truly identical.

·
Registered
831 Posts
You've got big balls. :D

BTW, can you give me the exact model number of the RDRAM memory chips on the first picture? I believe there are 4 - 6 of them on the board.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Right on conceptvbs.....balls the size of cantelopes.

Thanks tecman

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well Well Well!

DNIe is a frigging chip after all!!!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ConceptVBS:

Attached is a picture of the ram. There are 5 of these, RDRAM if you say so, I'm not familiar with the p/n's.

Next to the FLI2310 is a single RAM chip. Per the specs, it should be SDRAM. The picture is a bit hard to read there, but I can see that it is a 6 nS device.

paul

Quote:
Originally posted by ConceptVBS
You've got big balls.

BTW, can you give me the exact model number of the RDRAM memory chips on the first picture? I believe there are 4 - 6 of them on the board.

·
Registered
641 Posts
TECMAN: Here's my question: do you know if the colorwheel in the NEW HLN467w will spin faster so as to eliminate problems (I forget what the problem is called but I understand that the so called "effect" is caused by a wheel thats was spinning at a particular speed. It was posted here somewhere and, I believe, mentioned in the latest issue of "Sound and Vision" also. Any insight would be appreciated. I am really interested in the new 46..........soooooooo anyone with any particulars on that set please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by kmil
TECMAN: Here's my question: do you know if the colorwheel in the NEW HLN467w will spin faster so as to eliminate problems (I forget what the problem is called but I understand that the so called "effect" is caused by a wheel thats was spinning at a particular speed. It was posted here somewhere and, I believe, mentioned in the latest issue of "Sound and Vision" also. Any insight would be appreciated. I am really interested in the new 46..........soooooooo anyone with any particulars on that set please let me know. Thanks!
kmil:

Sorry but I don't have any particulars. I had read a tech paper on the DLP II chipsets which implied that the defacto standard was to update the color 2.5 times per frame. For a "P" image, this means 150 Hz color update. Since the HLN/M color wheel has 6 segments (2 x RGB) it would require a motor speed of 4500 RPM, well within today's technology.

One other note, I think most people don't realize that the mirror response is 20uSec and the normal clockrate results in the mirrors being controlled at 50 KHz. This rate is used for the 10 bit PWM (on-off time modulation) to generate a theoretical brightness range of 1000:1

paul

·
Registered
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tecman
ConceptVBS:

Attached is a picture of the ram. There are 5 of these, RDRAM if you say so, I'm not familiar with the p/n's.

Next to the FLI2310 is a single RAM chip. Per the specs, it should be SDRAM. The picture is a bit hard to read there, but I can see that it is a 6 nS device.

paul
Thanks bud. I asked you because perhaps there might be a way to O/C (overclock) the sucker to gets some extra oomph. :D

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Great post ;)

any pictures of the Lamp or DLP chip? I'm curious as to how they're mounted and what the geometry looks like.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Since the HLN/M color wheel has 6 segments (2 x RGB) it would require a motor speed of 4500 RPM, well within today's technology.
As far as I remember reading, it spins at 7200 RPM

Kirill

·
Registered
370 Posts
I believe the HD2 systems actually uses 5 RGB segments per 60 Hz frame. This translates to 2.5 revolutions per frame for the 6 segment colour wheels.

(5 * 60 * 60) / 2.5 = 7200 RPM

If they just added a transparent magnetic coating and a read/write head you could use it as a hard drive...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rmostad
I believe the HD2 systems actually uses 5 RGB segments per 60 Hz frame. This translates to 2.5 revolutions per frame for the 6 segment colour wheels.

(5 * 60 * 60) / 2.5 = 7200 RPM

If they just added a transparent magnetic coating and a read/write head you could use it as a hard drive...
rmostad:

You could be right. As I said the paper I had read was a TI paper that referred to 2.5 times. Higher rates are better for rainbow reduction. Since the Samsung design is relatively new, 5X is certainly a possibility.

venm11:

I did not dig into the optical engine. It is kind of buried such that you have to pull out all of the other boards to get to it. I didn't want to go that deep. I also was a bit concerned about any optical alignment, dust contamination, etc. if I opened it.

The optical path comes from the light on the left, horizontal across the back, through the colorwheel. I think it then hits the DMD at 45 deg reflecting to the front of the set, dead center. It looks like there is another mirror that reflects at an angle up towards the center of the rear (towards the main mirror. At this mirror is the lens, which is also at about 45 deg up angle.

Interesting is the heatsink on the rear of the optical engine. It is either to cool the DMD, or perhaps it is to cool the "light sink" (the spot where the light is sent by the mirrors when it is not reflected at the screen). My first thought was that it was to cool the DMD, but the reflective efficiency of the DMD is over 80%, and TI rates the DMD for quite high temperatures. Also the light sink takes the brunt of all of the lamp's energy that is not going to the screen, so it may be what needs cooling. I guess we will have to wait a bit more to find out.

paul

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
tecman-

Are there accessible adjustments for the geometry, optics, lamp power, etc? I wouldn't mind boosting lamp power and reducing overscan.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Venm11: Your brave, I wouldn't mess with Mother Nature so to speak of seeing that I'm technically "challenged". In other words, speaking only for myself I would leave well enough alone and would be afraid of screwing things up. BTW, the info provided on these boards is EXCELLENT. This guy Neil, from the TVAuthority has been especially helpful to many of us not to mention ALL of the "regular" posters. Folks, my proverbial hat off to you!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.