AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done as much reading as I can on Openfiler, Unraid & Freenas, but I still have a couple of unanswered questions. I'm really not technically proficient enough for most Linux distros.

I'm about to setup a mediaserver and I need to get a better idea on some of the above software's limitations.

Openfiler - Seems like a good choice for RAID5 but can it hide shares from particular users so that they are not visible?

UnRaid - I don't really want to pay $69/$119 for this but it does seem very user friendly. I've read a lot on the UnRaid forums and it seems a lot of people have hardware problems if they don't closely follow the very limited hardware compatibility. Is this a major issue, or are the hardware problems exaggerated?

FreeNas - I like a lot of what I've read about FreeNas, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to expand a raid5 array.

Flexraid - Not sure if this is ready for showtime yet. Also unsure about whether it can hide shares from particular users?

I would appreciate any information people can give me about their experiences with the above server software.

I don't think I put this in the right forum. I understand if it needs to be deleted.

Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No idea. But, I've got the hardware for my own NAS and as soon as I put it together I will probably try Openfiler.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfox101 /forum/post/14178494

hey check out: http://www.serverelements.com/naslite-2-usb.php

I used it, worked fine. I had 6 hard drives some were around 250 movies. I've had a Qnap 409 pro for about 2 weeks.. I really like the 409, streaming to a eva8000

Thanks for the tip. I've checked out all the solutions mentioned in this thread and the other, and I think Openfiler will best suit my needs.

If OF doesn't work out or is too difficult to work with, then I'll move on to one of the easier solutions - Freenas, Naslite, UnRaid or possibly Flexraid if the Web UI works out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
One more thing: Each system uses a different disk format. I never tried Openfiler, but naslite used ext3, freenas used something unix. What I'm trying to say is, 6 to 8 hours per drive to copy, and having the software for a windows pc to read the format. With the qnap it was easy, has built in usb and copy software. Had no problem reading the ext3 drive.

I also bought ata 100 drives. Having an old computer, and software based nas thats what I needed. Any new system "qnap" will only take sata drives. I now have 4 new 500gb drives I can't use, for my new nas.

For me, something like the Qnap is the way to go. You start out right! 1000 gb network card, sata drives, you format and install your data one time. Also starting up that 400 watt or more pc, and the noise. The Qnap is not much larger than the 4 drives, the fan, just about can't hear it. I think it uses less than 100 watts with 4 drives.

Anyway, just something to think about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts