AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many screws need to be taken out to get this open? I've take out 3 on each side, 1 in the top middle, and 4 along the bottom back. The bottom still seems to be attached.

Can anyone give me a hint?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I wound up taking out 16 in all to get the case open. In addition to the 11 I previously had, there was one inset on higher up on the back of the unit. It also appeared I had to take out all the screws near the ports. Once I did that, it slid apart.

It was recommended that I take off the hard drive mounting plate, but I stripped one of the screws. However, removing the 4 screws (2 on each side of drive) seemed to release the drive easily.

Now I'm trying to find the best way to remove the cable. Any tips?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
the max size HD space the pvss2710 will utilized is about '140 gigs' (marketer's math), so you'll want to choose a 120 gig or 160 gig.

Taking the HD bracket off before removing the HD is highly recommended. I don't know how you managed to unscrew the HD without your arm elbowing components in the TV, but whatever, if you managed.

You might want to boot up the TV to make sure everything works before you put the back back on (that's a lot of screws).

it is usually best to set the jumper in the HD as 'master'

happy hacking

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 160 Gb drive that I bought already imaged. I'll confirm with the person I bought it from on the master setting.

The mounting plate screws seemed like they were tightened by a gorilla. I had to put so much pressure on them to make the first "crack" that I was worried about breaking something. Got 3 off, stripped the 4th. The screws that held the drive into the plate, however, were quite reasonable and came off easily.

I powered up already and I got the setup menu. Because this is going into a new place, I have to wire up the phone jack to finish the setup.

Icecow, your instructions in the archive were spot on. Thanks a million!

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
technical note. The jumper comes as 'cable select' when shipped from replaytv, but I perfer to put it on master. Either should work, but in yada-yada theory I think master to be better. Diffinately not slave.

So if it boots up fine, no reason to go back and change it and risk breaking internal parts again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In what appears to be industry sabotage, Comcast has cut off Vonage devices. Unfortunately, I learned this from the wrong end and have been troubleshooting all day on inhouse wiring. Finally got things straightened out, and tried to dial in.

It fails, with the message "No response from modem." Before the hard drive went flakey and replacing it, the modem was working fine. So I'm gonna search on this phrase and see if I can find any troubleshooting tips.

I welcome any and all suggestions.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I was never able to get my Showtoppers to work well with Vonage, so I gave up and gave them to my sister and mom. I used the Vonage failures as justification to move "up" to 5000 series Replays. I've never looked back.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The regular showstopper seems to do fine with vonage. I'm pretty sure this is a problem with the pv-ss2710 modem.

I talked to panasonic, and they showed me how to soft boot to use the unit as a tv. Unfortunately, I only get one channel. The channel changes but the signal stays the same. This is probably because I have it hooked direct to the cable instead of through a cable box.

For now, I'm going to learn what I can about the modems in these units. I can't see that replacing the motherboard would be a practical option.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
I can't remember, but I nearly assume you can slow down the modem (like you can in a showstopper) and have a better chance of connecting.

It's something to try.

I think you type 243-zones from the MODEM PANEL. If I'm wrong, someone can chime in or you can search.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually, going through quick set up, you just hit zones when you are on the prefix screen.

Unfortunately, it didn't help.

I'm coming to the conclusion that something came loose when my happy helper was too rough trying to get the thing open. I'm going to see if I can get more info from Panasonic tomorrow, but it might be a goner.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just checked the version on my new drive and found out it is version 3, which the PV-SS2710 was never upgraded with.

Does anyone have any idea if this could affect modem communications? The place I got the disk offered to replace it with the version 2 image, but I don't want to bother if it is sure not to work.

Thanks again, icecow.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts

·
Registered
4,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJonline /forum/post/0

Version 3.0 Build 202 2/7/2002

I'm pretty sure it's the wrong one and I'm surprised it booted too. The modem communication is the last thing I would have expected to not work.

You need the combo image. The showstopper table top units shipped with 2.0, which isn't the same as combo 2.0. I have booted combo software in a showstopper. It boots, but doesn't net connect normally. There isn't a modem speed panel in combo software.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to all of you. I got the right image. Everything is wonderful.

I went through a period where the unit thought it was 5/2/2007. However, a forced connection resulting in a software update, followed by the unit saying it wanted to do another connection, and everything is great.

Many, many thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.