Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone.

Opening night for my home theatre is Thursday night and I'm struggling to come up with just the right film to enjoy that first night that will show off as much of the gear as possible.

I've got a Runco 1000 C projector with an 82" Firehawk screen, power by a Denon receiver and Denon DVD/SACD/MP3/DVD-audio player. All this supported sonically by B&W CDM 7NT's, CDM center and rear speakers and sub-woofer.

Anyway, enough of the gear talk. I'm really at a loss for what to show opening night. I'm thinking something fun, not too serious, maybe a comedy with a great picture ans sound track. Maybe not. I'm open to ALL ideas. Please share your thoughts with me !!!!!

Bruce

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was looking for it to give you a link to the thread, but there is a long thread for "opening night" ..... Moulin Rouge was high on the list for colors, The Fifth Element Superbit Edition for showing off the clarity (I'd add Vertical Limit superbit edition to that) and Lord of the Rings, Two Towers, and Terminator 2, special edition (has a great sound track. Find the other post there's lots of stuff there. Search "opening night" maybe.

Chris

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Embo,

Who will be your audience? Kids? Teens, Adults?

Gus

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well....

I'm actually hoping the first night will just be my lovely wife and I getting a handle on how everything works and sounds so I don't look stupid, or more stupid depending on your point of view.

For the actual opening night I'll probably have a mixture of neighbors and their families here. They were crucial in the build process, so they're gonna be the guests of honor.

I'm seriously considering the LOR second episode since we really liked the first. But it may be a little less manly than some of my neighbor fellas might like....

I just don't know. I'll search the thread. Thanks for the advice.

Bruce

·
Registered
158 Posts
Pft LOTR is Manly enough for them, if they say it's not they're just posturing IMO. It's got giant talking trees and more swords than you can shake a stick at what more can a guy want!

(edit: If you do want to bump the testosterone up a touch consider showing a short clip from the IMAX movie with Mario Andretti I forget the name but it's easily found at the rainforest store searching dvd's for IMAX.)

For just you and your wife I'd reccomend you watch an old favorite that you know real well so you can take note of any last minute tweaks that need to be made before the "public" premier. Animated movies are always impressive on a FP also so you may want to take that into consideration.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Embo_9,

The first film that ran in my incomplete home theater was "Monsters, Inc." - it was a great mixture of audio effects, video display, and audience interest (me, my wife, our 7-year-old, and our 5-year-old).

I'd say to think first of what the audience wants/needs/likes, then pick the movie within that range that you can best use to tweak/showcase the various facets of your theater.

You can have the most perfectly tuned audio and video experience, but if the subject matter isn't of interest to the audience, the whole event will be a big yawn for them...

Dwight

·
Registered
832 Posts
Along those lines, I'd recommend Shrek, fun for all ages, great video and audio quality (including some great surround effects). A great all around romp. In my opinion, it has a little more to offer jaded grown-ups than most of the Disney/Pixar animations.

Of course I'm partial to things like gladiator, 5th element, gataca, LOTR, etc. but you mentioned comedy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here's a suggestion I wouldn't have made just a day ago, but last night I popped in "Scream 3", only because I've had my dedicated theater for 3 months now and have watched all my other dvd's at least 3 times each. Anyway, I don't recommend it for opening night, but it's a great test for the speakers, as they went a bit overboard with sound effects placement. For example, when Cotton gets home and is looking for his girlfriend, as he walks around the apt. the sound from the tv moves from speaker to speaker as it would if you were actually walking along with him. Plus there's a lot of discreet sounds and voices throughout the movie.

I wouldn't play LOTR II simply because most of it has that washed out blue tint effect, it's not as colorful as the first one, plus it IS a bit too long for people who may not be into it.

OK, my suggestion for actual opening night would be Armageddon. It's colorful, the picture is amazing, the sound is awesome, and it's comical and exciting. It's not my favorite movie but I think it fits your criteria.

m7

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Watch something you love to watch. Then you and your guests will notice how clear the picture really is.

I personally like Braveheart, but it wasn't my opening movie. I think Matrix was our first film.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'm hoping to have my new theater completed before Matrix Reloaded comes out on October 14. I'm a huge Matrix fan and am planning on having a double-feature sometime during the first week of the theater being open. I agree that LOTR-TTT would be an excellent pick. And manly enough the movie I believe to be (man, that sound a little too Yoda-like!)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
oh come on noone mentioned the most played demo disk in home theater stores.. wel at least used to be now it seems like its lotr.. can ya think of it?

think danger zone.

you never close your eyes any more when i kiss your lips..

top gun of course..

forgot the :D

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Our first was "X-Men" and it was a terrfic opener for the whole family. But I didn't really get the full impact of what Cinema Murray could do until I had an night by my self and watched "Saving Private Ryan".

I'm planning a series of events for friends in the next couple of months, including multiple screenings of both Matrix movies and both LOTR movies.

Randy

·
Registered
693 Posts
I do agree with pen25 on Top Gun. I'd love nothing more than to see Paramount go back and redo Top Gun, clean up the video a bit, make it anamorphic, and add a DTS track to it. Man, that would be amazing. It still astonishes me that a movie that's 17 years old can still hang with the big dogs and is still a favorite as demo material amongst HT enthusiasts.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I thought Top Gun was one of the movies that had a bad reel to DVD transfer. Top Gun is a great movie, but I don't think it will really show what all your equipment can do.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well:

Due to some scheduling conflicts the OFFICIAL opening night of my home theatre will be a little later than I expected. Despite that, it's all up and running and looking awesome. All we have left to do is some touch up paint, re-hang one door, install the lockset, and install the cable from the DVD to the receiver so I can use my DVD-audio or SACD. Oh yeah and I have to drill one hole through my desktop for power cords and get my turntable back from the shop. Seems the moving coil cartridge was incompatible with my Denon receiver, so I'm getting a moving magnet cartridge instead. Hopefully that will take care of the mis-matched levels.

But back to the topic at hand, those who have seen the theatre have been treated to snippets from LOTR's. It knocks em over.

Frankly I thought all that NFL in HD yesterday was unbelievable.

Even further, I find myself wanting to watch anything in HD regardless of what it is. Do you think the TV stations realize that if they get up to speed with HD more people will want to watch THEIR stations??????

·
Registered
5 Posts
How about Minority Report? Nice DTS Soundtrack... the part in the car factory with them funky guns sounds awesome on the B&W's specially the sub ... real gut wrenching bass ;-)

or if Minority Report isn't your cup of tea then how about the old Aliens... FANTASTIC THX opening chord and nice atmospheric sounds and some good special effects (for the time) ... can't beat the classics...

or then theres the old Jurassic Park saga's .... the first one was the disc i spun first time round on my new system.... Armageddon was the disc i spun when i paid £500 for a basic Toshiba DVD Player on a Yamaha Dolby Pro-Logic System about 3 years ago. heee how things move on :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
The upcoming Lion King release, from what I have read so far, would be an excellent movie to play as an opening night feature. Granted, it may not be as "manly" as some might want it to be, but from the sound of it (no pun intended), the newly developed "Enhanced For Home Theater Mix" is truly something to behold. Check out this review from the Home Theater Forum. The reviewer gave the PQ a 6/5 stars. He fully compares the DVD to the LD release, which at the time was one of the best overall LDs on the market.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Bugman -

Thanks for the link to the Lion King review. Now I'm, errrr I mean my daughter is, really excited about the release! :p

Dave

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hell yes! I'm confident enough in my manhood to say that I am more than excited about this release. I've always been a fan of The Lion King and thought that it should have been on DVD a long time ago.

·
Registered
42 Posts
For entertainment value with a few tricks thrown in, my vote would be for Jamie Lee & Arnold in True Lies. It is one movie my wife & I have watched several times on the HT and we still love it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.