I would like you advice on what operating system would be best for my setup:

Asus CUSL-2

PIII 1 ghz

256 megs PC133

40 IBM 7200rpm

Elsa Ultra 64 meg video card

Audiophile 24/96 sound card

Creative Ovation 12x DVD

I am also going to add an accessdtv card in the future.

Would I be better off going with Win2k or ME? I will mostly be watching movies and surfing the net. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
6,227 Posts

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Greg:

___This is one of my favorite HTPC topics http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

___Since you are using an Elsa GeForce2 Ultra and an M-Audio AP2496, I would most definitely be using Windows 2000. You will need the following SW components to make it work as advertised with the caveats that Windows Millennium has the best sound handling capabilities of any OS available to date with no hacks needed whatsoever …

___Entech’s PowerStrip 3.0 beta , Nvidia GeForce Reference drivers ver. 7.52 or 7.58 beta’s (these drivers are actually WHQL approved by my reads so beta is far from the description I would use), M-Audio Windows 2000 WDM Candidate Drivers , Windows SP2 Beta (I cannot post a link to this for you but you can find it with some creative web searches … ), DirectX 8.0a for Windows 2000 , and finally, WinDVD 2000 ver. 2.3.55 and the WinDVD 2000 2.6.4 patch. Intervideo’s Taiwanese site has moved the location of this patch 3 times now so you will have to get the 3.23 MB patch from another member with a T1, cable, or DSL line.

___I am not sure that you have custom T&R capability using the latest 7.59’s or 12.0 series Nvidia Reference beta drivers for the GeForce2 Ultra nor of their stability but the 12.0’s are supposedly the next reference Detonator 4 release candidates and are showing some very impressive gaming performance improvements if that helps.

___The above will give you both a great HTPC DVD experience as well as fast gaming performance. What is missing from the package to date … With the M-Audio drivers, you will have to manually switch the driver’s configuration for PCM (MP3’s and CD-Audio) to DD/DTS (DVD playback). Other than that, this is the best and most stable Windows 2000 HTPC configuration available. For the near term, you should watch for Windows 2000 SP2 final to be released any day now (I have been saying this same thing for over 3 months now http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif ), official and final Nvidia Reference Detonator 4 drivers, final M-Audio AP2496 drivers for Windows 2000 SP2 final, and WinDVD 3.0 as a nice upgrade.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

[This message has been edited by xcel (edited 05-11-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.