AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done a direct comparison between these two projectors? They look pretty similar by the specs, but I'm wondering if it's worth the extra $400 to get the VT540.

Advantages of the VT540K:

* 1000 lumens (versus 900 for the LT154)

* VORTEX technology (still not clear what this really means)

* longer lamp life (2000-3000hrs versus 1000-2000 for the LT154)

Advantages of the LT154:

* 400:1 contrast (versus 300:1 for the VT540)

* cheaper ($2638 from Dell currently, versus $3000 I've seen around for VT540)

* a little quieter (35dB versus 37dB for the VT540)

Are there other factors I'm overlooking in making this decision?

Thanks for your input!

Aaron

·
Registered
73 Posts
The 154 is also a bit smaller. (2.2kg vs 3.9kg) If you are going to ceiling mount, I really like how my 154 looks using the mounting kit I got from Dell. It hangs from a pole with cables going through the pole and into the ceiling. The 540 ceiling mount shown on nec-pj.com looks like you will not have control over height. I'm not sure what Dell sells for the 540. Also, in ECO mode the 154 is very quiet and you get 2000 hours. In a controlled light environment, you won't miss the lumens. Nice remote control also.

You might also want to look at the throw tables to see which one matches your screen size better. Also decide how you will mount it and if the ceiling mount issues affect you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info on the LT154!

Size isn't so important for me, I think I'll be putting it on a cart rather than ceiling mounting it (damn vaulted ceilings! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif ) I'm currently leaning a bit toward the VT540, since the lamp life will help offset the added cost. Plus, the VT540 is available outside of CA, so I can save on tax and bring them even closer in price.

You do bring up a good point about throw. I've got the specs for the VT540, but the LT154 info is hard to find. Can I assume that it's the same as the LT155? Do you know someplace that has the info online?

Cheers,

Aaron

·
Registered
73 Posts
The LT154 uses that same manual as the 155. The cover says LT155/LT154 on it. Don't forget that all the projectors, including the 154/155 and the 540 all have Vortex Technology so that is not a benefit for the 540 as you spoke of. The only difference from the 155 and 154 is the extra lumens which I do not miss. Otherwise you can get the throw chart at www.nectech.com for the 155/154.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have the LT154 and the lumens between 1000 and 900 is not that much. I put my LT154 on ECO mode which lowers the lumens and extends lamps life, and I can't tell that much difference. Also 35db to 37db which is 2db difference you might not here the difference.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dsspotato:
...The only difference from the 155 and 154 is the extra lumens...
I don't have either of these (I have a VT540, which I really like), but I believe that there is an additional difference. The 155 uses a MLA (micro lens array) to i) achieve higher lumens; and ii) decrease screen door effect. It's the decrease in screen door effect that I think is the more significant benefit. There are reviews on www.projectorcentral.com that cover this.

Regards

BB80301

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I am wondering if contrast ratio is of the utmost importance with these digital projectors in terms of video quality. I recently picked up an NEC LCD flat monitor that has only 200:1 contrast ratio. It really lacks the depth and clarity of my NEC CRT monitor on dvd material even with the LCD monitors resolution set higher than that of the CRT. I use an HTPC with Radeon LE and the ATI player.

With the video set to display 1024x768 (native to the NEC LCD)@ 75Hz as recommended by NEC. Perhaps I should try 60Hz instead of 75Hz for dvd...

Given this experience, I am doubting if 400:1 on a much larger screen would be sufficient and that the LT150 with 800:1 CR may be the way to go.

What is the experience of LT154/155 owners with stuck pixels. Any better than the VT540?

hardwired

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Also, in regards to price, is the price of the LT154 approaching that of the LT150 or is this just another Dell moment.

With Dell's pricing all over the map lately and somewhat questionable customer service these days, if the Dell price of this projector is down significantly in the next month or two, can one expect to get the difference refunded?

What if a webstore listing on pricesearch or pricescan shows a price lower than Dell's in the next 30 days - will you also be refunded the difference no questions asked?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.