AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm a bit confused over the whole concept of using analog outputs on any bluray player, I do get the idea that some players will have state of the art audio components, what I don't get is it will be (most likely) very limited in terms of software, I guess it will do speaker size, level, distance and probably some kind of bass management but not much more!

This means by using the analog outputs I'd be losing the processing made by the receiver, stuff like room correction, equalization which to me seems nice to have, I could use them but this means receiver will have to do analog->digital-->Process--->analog---->amplify and that pretty much mutes the whole purpose of having expensive DAC in the player since receiver will use it's own DAC in the process and probably lose the quality of the player conversion.

Maybe analog on the player is nice for people playing SACD/DVD-A but for me I'm playing movie 100% so I'm wondering if room correction is a must or if I could just go with player processing and room correction is just marketing.

I'm using a Yamaha RX-V3900 amplifier and I'm looking at the OPPO standard, special and NU-Force edition, so in your opinion what's better:

1) Special Edition/NU-Force edition, let the player decode, go RCA over receiver, use it only for amplification and loose all the processing made by receiver like room correction, equalization

2) Standard edition, bitstream to receiver via HDMI and let the receiver process and use the probably worst quality DAC in the Yamaha.

I'm confused about which way to go, any help appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
If I were you I would not bother with analog outputs from anything, as you specifically mentioned that you would be using a Blu-ray player for 100% movie watching.

Therefore, using HDMI for audio and video is your solution. There's really nothing to be confused about IMO.

As I said, you mentioned that SACD/DVD-A (or even CD) are things you will NOT be using, so you don't really need a Blu-ray player that will have a really expensive D/A converter.

If I were you I would focus on finding a Blu-ray player that has newer features you might enjoy, like Netflix and/or Pandora streaming, as well as networking capabilities. Your television (or monitor) will be responsible for any processing of video signals that need to be made.

Let your Yamaha take care of any audio processing that needs to be done.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
When it comes to BD and DVD, analog is for people who don't have HDMI. Period.

In a universal player, some audiophiles look for advanced DACs to support music playback. The BDP-83 has upgraded stereo DACs for use with music CDs. The BDP-83SE also has upgraded multichannel DACs for use with SACD and DVD-A.

No confusion. You don't need analog.

·
Registered
584 Posts
With that receiver I think the only option that makes sense is the standard edition, you might even consider the newer less expensive model 80 or another brand that might have a feature you want. IMO you have zero need for a player with analog outputs let alone one with a high end analog section.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.