AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am looking for the easiest/best solution for streaming video files from Ubuntu Hardy to the Xbox 360 without having to install and test a buch of stuff. Any suggestions?

thanks!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow. No opinions from a bunch of Linux guys... weird

·
Registered
1,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliDog /forum/post/14199614

What are you saying about Linux heads?
I think the problem with streaming to the 360 have to do with it wanting video to be transcoded to wmv (I don't know - don't have one). I'd look into fuppes, ushare, and twonky (has a free trial, but isn't free).

·
Registered
66 Posts
not sure if you care anymore but...

While I haven't worked with an xbox 360, I have had good success with Mediatomb and my ps3. The strong point is that you can configure it to transcode files to any format you specify beforehand. I think its all mplayer based, so really that all you needed to install. There are lots of guides and it works slick once you have it all setup... it's all controlled from the web, so its easy to manange from the xbox / ps3.

the only thing to watch out for is that there are multiple config files installed by ubuntu...

http://mediatomb.cc/

·
Registered
8,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliDog /forum/post/14199614

Why would a Linux guy use an MS product like the 360?

Now, if you had asked how to access files on Ubuntu from another Ubuntu box or Geexbox/Myth frontend, you'd have gotten somewhere

...but mediatomb appears to be what you need (uPNP)

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. Actually I have set up uShare ( http://ushare.geexbox.org/ ) and it works perfectly. Not one problem after getting it configured. The only irritation is I can't easily get the app to auto start on boot.

btw, the 360 is the best living room gaming device out right now IMO. That's why a Linux or any other kind of guy use it =) MS built or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts