AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has offered to sell me the following equipment for $5500.

Sony KF60we610

Harman Kardon AVR630

Polk RM7600's

Velodyne CHT10

4 Ultra THX Monster Component Cables

4 Ultra THX Monster Optical Cables

10ft pair Monster Cable Z2 Reference Speaker Wire

10ft Monster Cable Z2 Reference Center Channel Wire

Monster HT2500 power center

Is this equipment worth the money or is there antoher system configuration that would be better than this for the less money? The room I intend to place this in is 11x21. As a side note, the wife is very concerned about space and thus does not want just a regular RPTV.

Thanks for your comments

·
Registered
283 Posts
Great idea checking here... this forum can be a fantastic resource for this and any other type of HT questions... many of the people who hang out here really know their stuff.

Personally, I like to think that Ebay is a fairly good reference for prices on used items.

I did a search on Ebay:

Sony sold new on Ebay for $2901, open box for $2650. Let's say $2500.

HK AVR 630, the most expensive one that sold on Ebay was $755.00.

Polk RM7600's, sold 'like new' for $630.

Velodyne CHT10 'like new' ends in 11 hours, let's just say $300.

Monster power HT2500 has a new 'buy it now' price of $179.50.

I left out the cables, because I agree with Brian. Be prepared for the fact that your friend will tell you that Brian and I are idiots, and that we don't know what we're talking about. Trust me, it's coming.

That brings me to $4364.00 (plus a little for shipping, of course. And the fact that you need to decide: "Am I paying more from a friend because I know where the equipement came from, and I know he took care of it, etc. etc," or, "I should pay less from a friend than I could buy the stuff on the open market."

As a side note, have you considered a projector to please your wife? A friend of mine just got an X1 on Ebay for $650 and loves it. A pull-down screen takes almost no space, and you can't beat a PJ for that 'theater feel.'

Another consideration: Is this the equipment that YOU would choose? If I am spending that king of money, I would make sure that I get EXACTLY what I want.

I would also consider posting this on the audio forum - those guys may be more familiar with this specific equipment.

My .02 -- hope that helps!

Let us know what you do.

Welcome to the forum!

Paul

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both of you for opinions.

I haven't really considered the projector. Are they difficult to setup and calibrate?? Where would I get cables long enough to run to the projector from my receiver/DVD/player? I have read posts that the bulb life isn't very long when used for everyday TV watching and since this will also be our primary TV watching area I'm not sure that my budget will allow for a new bulb every so often. I know that the Sony LCD will need to have the bulb replaced as well but I was hoping that it would have a longer life than a front projector. If I'm wrong, can I achieve the same picture quality from a front projector as the Sony (I went and looked at it and is beautiful)?? What models would you recommend in the $2000-$3000 price range??

Thanks again

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
There are two forums dedicated to front digital projectors, so that is your best place to find info.

bulb life depends on the projector some have a life of 1000 hours and others have a life of 5000 hours.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.