AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must admit, Monster is extremely good at marketing, and the cable they sell is indeed, of better quality than the regular RCA or RadioShack. However, I think somehow Monster's price makes me feel that they've overdone the whole marketing thing, and they are taking good advantage of the high price bar and their unique way of telling stories (instead of reasonable testing results) to make the customers believe that they are actually paying for the worthy cable. As a tech-guy who likes seeing the engineering truth hidden underneath empty talks, I have to say I won't buy their products unconditionally...

:)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Monster Cable's Marketing is fantastic. They have done an incredible job when it comes to Marketing, advertising, name brand recognition. How do I feel about their products, price, value? Terrible. Extremely overpriced for what you get. Their pricing is thru the roof. You often get short cables that don't even reach from 1 component to the other. Places like CC & BB's push this stuff anytime they sell a DVD, VCR, etc. I don't blame them; the mark up is astronomical. They make a larger profit margin selling these overpriced cables then they do selling the DVD player, and other components. They often sell customers cables that they don't even need. The gamble is that once the customer buys it and takes it home, often they will not bother to return it, even if they don't need it or use it. They will easily sell a customer $200.00 or more worth of cables. They are marketing geniuses. Their packaging is slick, also.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, everybody knew that cable would be the weakest link in your system. That is not a secret anymore. The reason why people are willing to pay good money for a piece of wire is because they've already paid hundreds of dollars for their systems, so what the heck... However, without honest advice and direction on which cable is truly good, most customers choose cable based on the eye-catching packaging and sensational (or pre-paid) marketing reviews, which benefit the big marketing buys such as Monster the most...And we all know what this means to the price that you get ;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Monster cable should be sold with Bose... think of the profit margins!

1) Collect rich folks who want home theater equipment

2) ?

3) PROFIT!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I use radio shack cable and it works great. I had my speaker cables since 1993.......

·
Registered
587 Posts
Quote:
The reason why people are willing to pay good money for a piece of wire is because they've already paid hundreds of dollars for their systems...
hundreds of dollars for a system? I wish

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1) Collect rich folks who want home theater equipment...But;

2) How to do that?????

2.5) Marketing!

3) Then, PROFIT!!!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
To AVLINK: I tried to remember you as a cable company...After I checked out your website, I found it interesting that some of your cables look very (I say very) similar to those they sell at Wal-Mart and Best Buy...And you mention on your website that you do OEM stuff...mmmm, interesting. I am wondering who is the actual "Monster" here :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
There are a lot of industries where the real profitability lies in options, add-ons, consumables, etc. Think about printer ink. Service plans. Even a side of fries or an appetizer. You don't see ads claiming great prices on these things by themselves. They may get bundled in a sort of package deal, but of course then you can always upgrade for just a bit more (you want the combo meal for only 99 cents more?).

Marketing pushes price on the biggest item, and may even lose money if all you buy is that single item. But many times you can't even buy just that by itself. Look at Toyota for example. You might see a price listed for a base model, but in reality you can't buy a base model because they require you to purchase one of their many packages. The base price sounds really good, but by the time you equip the vehicle similarly to the competition the final purchase price isn't as good a deal. Not even considering the dealer add-ons like rustproofing which is often significantly more than if you have it done yourself.

Specialty companies like Monster have taken advantage of being only in the option game, and they've parlayed a successful (and probably costly) marketing effort into brand recognition and then offered their product at a higher price than most of their competition. So the average consumer spends hundred or thousands of dollars for audio and video equipment and then is told by their dealer that they should really spend the few dollars more to get premium quality cables. The average consumer doesn't have a clue what would make a cable 'premium quality' other than brand recognition, packaging, and price. Not to mention the fact that the average consumer probably won't be able to tell the difference between a $25 cable and a $100 cable.

·
Registered
21,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedyG
The average consumer doesn't have a clue what would make a cable 'premium quality' other than brand recognition, packaging, and price. Not to mention the fact that the average consumer probably won't be able to tell the difference between a $25 cable and a $100 cable.
But it gives you 'bragging rights' to justify the $$ you spent and try to convince others to follow the firey path to Hades ! :p

Misery loves company.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by YeuEmMaiMai
I use radio shack cable and it works great. I had my speaker cables since 1993.......
It always works "great" when you've never compared them to better cables :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.