AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I am looking at investing in surround sound setup for my living room and am on a budget. I am not what you consider an audiophile but would like to get a pretty good surround sound system for around $600. I am looking at the Sony DAV-FX80 for mainly two reasons. One it will probably look nice with my 60XS955 because it is also a Sony product, and two because it has an HDMI hook-up that would go nicely with my tv. Any suggestions or opinions on to where I should be heading because I know nothing about home theater speakers or surround sound systems. Thanks.

P.S. I have browsed the forum for guidance myself but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. :)

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Sony bashers will be here soon... I'm one of them BTW. There are much better sounding alternatives for $600.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Couldnt find what your looking for, or as in what you want to see? I dont think I would recommend any sony htib for ............um........well never! For 600 dollars we can get you set up with something worthy of system. You can get a good but inexpensive receiver (Yamaha HTR-5830, Pioneer VSX-515 = ~$200 retail for both). Then get a nice speaker package as well for you, Klipsch quintet (needs a sub), Athena micra6 or point5 (point5 needs sub), Polk RM6750BK all ranging from around $300-$500 retail. And that will get you setup very nicely. Feel free to ask any more questions.

Addition: Hehe Rons post got put up while I was writing mine, so I as well!!!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJLaletas
For 600 dollars we can get you set up with something worthy of system.
Would you go so far as to call it DREAMY?? :p

·
Registered
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynesjc
Would you go so far as to call it DREAMY?? :p
LOL! No more like Night-marish

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually I think I found a couple of options that I am now considering. I went to Best Buy and Circuit City and found a couple of sets that I really like. The first one is this set: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....prd38700050000

The second one is this set:
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...ss=Systems&p=i

I really liked both systems and their prices are not even close to each other. The only reason I am considering the Athenas because I am worried that the Onkyo setup might not be a good one for me in the long run if I get a larger living room. I am really wanting some opinions on the Athena setup that is matched with the Pioneer receiver. I can't seem to find much information on these speakers or the receiver and need some feedback.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
you can do much better for $1479 or so, than the Pioneer/Athena combo at BB. honestly, if you're on a budget, you can a refurb HK235 on line for under $300. then, look on line for a pair of Athena AS-F1.2's for the front, a pair of Athena AS-B1.2's for the rear, and a Athena AS-C1.2 for the center. then, you can get the Acoustech H-100 subwoofer for about $275 shipped. you're done, for under $1000, and it should sound better than the system you linked that cost about $479 more with a pretty BAD subwoofer...

also, you can find a refurb version of that Onkyo 499, and honestly that would be paying too much for it. sure, it looks great, but it sounds about the same as the 770 with cooler looking speakers. if you have a nice living room, and want something that looks great but just sounds ok, then get it for $499 and not a penny more. if you're going to spend $999 on it, put that $999 towards a system like the one i mentioned above, it will sound much better...

and you don't have to go with the Athenas, i was just giving you an example of speakers that you could use that would sound good while keeping the total price under $1000 dollars. you can use a good receiver, with the Home Theater DIrect Level 2 system, and spend even less for good sound. either one will sound better than either of the 2 systems you posted...

http://www.htd.com/leveltwosets.html

good luck with whatever you choose to go with...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. The main reason that I was going with the Athena setup was because of the looks and room issues. I know that isn't the best reason for buying speakers but with my current t.v. location, which is in a corner and I can't change that, big floorstanding speakers would stand out too much. Honestly, those were the best speakers that I could find for the size but I am still a newb and know next to jack about surround sound systems. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by njv16
Hi guys. I am looking at investing in surround sound setup for my living room and am on a budget. I am not what you consider an audiophile but would like to get a pretty good surround sound system for around $600. I am looking at the Sony DAV-FX80 for mainly two reasons. One it will probably look nice with my 60XS955 because it is also a Sony product, and two because it has an HDMI hook-up that would go nicely with my tv. Any suggestions or opinions on to where I should be heading because I know nothing about home theater speakers or surround sound systems. Thanks.

P.S. I have browsed the forum for guidance myself but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. :)
Denons new 5.1 & 6.1 HTIB is a good choice for your price range.. Can't go wrong with Oknoye HTIB.. Pioneer is good aswell.. Sony's audio isn't up to par with their Video prowess.. I recommend the Z560 over the Sony!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.