AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm amazed at the range of emotion that's poured forth after one of our forum sponsor's recent flat panel shootout event. I realize most folks here at AVS are dedicated enthusiasts, but I had no idea an event like this would bring forth such heated (and sometimes ugly) reactions.

As there are usually more lurkers on any given board than there are posters, I thought it might be interesting to take a poll of the membership. The questions were developed from reading poster's various reactions. I realize the questions may not fit your particular reaction, but I did the best I could. PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE WORDING OF THE QUESTIONS, I HUMBLY BEG YOUR PARDON. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO DEVELOP YOUR OWN.

AlsoPLEASE exercise some restraint if you are going to post comments in this thread. Let's try and treat each other with some respect. I highly doubt we would say some of the things that get posted to one another if we were in the same room.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
The thing that amazed me, is Robert, et al, made it clear right up to 'shoot out' day what would be happening. Yet there seemed to be a fair number criticizing the outcome as biased, poorly done, etc.

I think they followed the program as well as expected, and apparently to the satisfaction of most if not all that attended.

I guess if you don't like the results, you have a right to express an opinion, but unless you were there and saw it for yourself and had cajones to come out and state what you felt was straying from objectivity, any criticism after the fact is just rattling on to me and adds no value to the topic at all.

I still do not have a new display, and I have Sony now. I am not sure what I will pick when I do, but Pioneer will certainly be among the ones I will look at, as well as Panasonic and likely Samsung.

If any other manufacturer or retailer wants to have their own shoot out, let them go for it! The more the merrier!

·
Registered
830 Posts
The event was fine overall. Ok the Pioneers are king.However I would have liked to hear from Ken and/or Robert about what was positive with the other displays.It seemed like once it was determined the Kuros had best blacks amongst other things, it was all over and lets just talk Pioneer. I own a Kuro but even I wanted to hear the virtues of the other sets. Blacks aren't everything after all. where where the rankings? Couldn't they have included an LED based Lcd where blacks are one of their strengths? Can we see the spreadsheets with the results that were passed out? Cnet seemed to like the Panny's better than the Kuro even though the blacks aren't quite that of the Kuros. My Sony Qualia doesn't have the blacks of the Kuros ,but yet for the most part it has more front to back depth of image(imo) and better chroma resolution.

Also with all the Kuro enthusiasts, no one asked any of the Pioneer guys about the number 1 and 2 concerns with the Kuros? Buzzing and dead pixels ! If these questions were asked or addressed I didn't hear them.

Having said this, I am appreciative of Robert organizing the event and I thank him and also to Soso for stepping up(easy on that zoom Soso). Thank you, to the attendees who posted their opinions on these pages. I would like to see this become an annual or semi annual event.(Robert,are you listening?)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts