AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm looking to buy a HK 5.1 speaker set, but I don't know which model to get.

For example, the HK website lists three speaker packages, TS20, TS30 and TS60. I've found even more variants on other sites: TS11, TS15, TS16, TS18, etc. From what I can see, it's only the speaker sizes that differ. Is there any difference in the sound quality? Is it safe to say that the higher the model code, the better the speaker, i.e. TS16 is better than TS15? Can I just pick the highest model that's in my budget range?

I want to run them off the HK AVR2600. Any suggestions?

[My lounge is 3.5 m / 11.5' square]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My budget is USD 2,900. The best prices I've found so far are:

TS20 $1,600

TS30 $1,850

AVR2600 $1,500

I want HK speakers because I assume they will work better with an HK receiver.

Perhaps I'm anally retentive, but I like things to match, lol.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Doesn't Harman Kardon make amps?

Hey, I'm thinking of buying a BMW supposedly they're good cars, and since I might buy one, anybody knows if they also make shoes, pants, underwear, gloves, tables, couches, pipes, hammers, guitars and condoms? Also need some of those... Also since I'll be driving a BMW, I'd like stuff which will work better with it, I like things to match, lol, thx!

Sometimes, things don't need to match...

·
Registered
1,666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossj81 /forum/post/19596797

OK, yes that's being retentive...however.... I presume many here share the same affliction

In general, 'any' speaker will work with any receiver. There might be exceptions when you get into the low ohm speakers and other technical stuff like that...but in general... you're ok.

Go out & listen to some speakers you LIKE, regardless of brand.

·
Registered
29,111 Posts

Quote:

TS20 $1,600

TS30 $1,850

AVR2600 $1,500

Where do you live where the HK AVR 2600 cost $1,500 USD?

It can be had for $500 or less in the states.
http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-...1559968&sr=8-1

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:

TS20 $1,600

TS30 $1,850

AVR2600 $1,500

Speakers and amps/receivers do not benefit from brand matching. Harman does happen to make some very good speakers though, Revel & Infinity are both part of the Harman group.

A better way to choose is to consider the size of your room and the desired volume level you would like to achieve and audition.

Ron

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandarf /forum/post/19596951

Hey, I'm thinking of buying a BMW supposedly they're good cars, and since I might buy one, anybody knows if they also make shoes, pants, underwear, gloves, tables, couches, pipes, hammers, guitars and condoms? Also need some of those... Also since I'll be driving a BMW, I'd like stuff which will work better with it, I like things to match, lol, thx!

Do you usually respond to requests for advice with facetious comments?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs /forum/post/19598467

Harman does happen to make some very good speakers though, Revel & Infinity are both part of the Harman group.

Since they are all part of the same group, do you think there is any material difference between the sub-brands? Is there any advantage to, say, Infinity over H/K?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossj81 /forum/post/19600829

Since they are all part of the same group, do you think there is any material difference between the sub-brands? Is there any advantage to, say, Infinity over H/K?

There's a pretty big difference between them. H/K speakers seem to be aimed slightly above typical HTIB speakers, Infinity is a value oriented speaker company that makes decent stuff for the money and they do share tech & materials with Revel (I've read Infinity's Beta are very similar to Revel Concerta, but cannot confirm) Revel is a top tier speaker comany whose flagship products spare no expense.

I feel you can get better speakers for the money than HK. Revel and Infinity are another story - they're good to great.

Ron

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coytee /forum/post/19597047

Go out & listen to some speakers you LIKE, regardless of brand.

Buying speakers on the basis of how they sound makes perfect sense, but I'm a complete n00b when it comes to audio equipment.

Obviously I could tell the difference between cheap crap speakers and a pair of Polks. When it comes to similarly matched high-end speakers, I don't think it's that easy. Perhaps an audiophile like you could pass a double-blind test comparing Bose/Polk/B&W/etc., but I wouldn't.

A further difficulty would be that the acoustics of the shop will be very different to the acoustics of my house. What sounds great in the shop might not as nice when I get home. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll let me take them home and try them out before I buy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs /forum/post/19600857

There's a pretty big difference between them.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

So you believe Infinity speakers are better value than H/K? Do you feel the same way about the H/K receivers?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossj81 /forum/post/19600937

Thanks, I didn't know that.

So you believe Infinity speakers are better value than H/K? Do you feel the same way about the H/K receivers?

Yes, I do think Infinity is a better choice than H/K for speakers, I forgot to mention they make JBL too but I'm not as familiar with their current lower end stuff.

H/K makes great electronics - they invented the receiver and they've gotten pretty good at it.
I have the avr 7300 and love it.

Ron

·
Registered
1,666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossj81 /forum/post/19600921

Obviously I could tell the difference between cheap crap speakers and a pair of Polks. When it comes to similarly matched high-end speakers, I don't think it's that easy. Perhaps an audiophile like you could pass a double-blind test comparing Bose/Polk/B&W/etc., but I wouldn't.

A further difficulty would be that the acoustics of the shop will be very different to the acoustics of my house. What sounds great in the shop might not as nice when I get home. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll let me take them home and try them out before I buy

Part of my comment about listening to what you like might be more basic than that.

Meaning, you might love the "room filling" effects of a Bose (I don't). You might love or hate the raw impact of a fully horn loaded setup (I do). You might prefer a more traditional design with 'normal' woofers/midrange/tweeters instead of a horn loaded design.

I personally LOVE the dynamics detail of an all horn system. Might not be someone elses cup of tea.

I was once at a HT dealer in Georgia and their system was on in the background as we were talking. This was a full McIntosh based system that probably cost more then my house. Speakers were B&W as I recall.

Standing there, I noticed the meters on the amps were averaging about 50 watts and we were carrying on a normal conversation, much like you & I might chat about a sporting event. We were not in raised voices.

I nudged my wife and tried to show that to her (she missed it totally, absolutely clueless about this stuff). Later on as we were driving home we talked about this. The thing I was wanting her to notice was the average of roughly 50 watts on the meters.

In my home with some huge horns.... she's jumping all over me (in a very loud voice so she can be heard) to TURNNNNNNNNNN ITTTTTTTTT DOWNNNNNNNNNNN.

What I was trying to illustrate to her was simply how much volume we get at home with 1 or 5 watts showing on MY McIntosh meters compared to what we were hearing there with 50 watts.

With higher efficiency, controlled disperson speakers, we can easily get by without having to buy the mega-powerful (expensive?) amps that others might require.

You make a good point about things sounding different in the shop verses your home. You should make some effort and set some funds aside to treat your room as well.

Good luck in your journey!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts