AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering the Klipsch SB-3 speakers. (I love the clean crisp sound) I have Bose 301's now and I am going to upgrade soon. I have been a long time HK owner and I plan to upgrade to a 525 when I move the HT.

My question revolves around using 6 identical speakers for a 6.1 (7.1) system

I thought maybe I would get 3 pairs of the SB-3's and use one for a center speaker (using a front pj), 1 pair for fronts, 1 pair for surrounds, and the last speaker for the rear. I am going to go with the SVS 16-46 PCi sub and a Harman Kardon AVR525 receiver.

Has anyone set up a HK AVR525 7.1 with only 1 rear speaker ?

WIll this work?

How would I do this and what negative effects might ther be ?

With this set-up I figured I could try it and save myself the cost of a center speaker. If I don't like it I can always move the SB-3 to the back buy a center and have 2 rears for a true 7.1 setup.

Thoughts, comments very appreciated !!

-neurotica

·
Registered
12,300 Posts
Yes.

You can hook up only 1 Back surround speaker, and it will work fine but..

you will be missing out for the Logic 7 7.1. Recommend that you put a pair for the Back surrounds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the HK-525 in a 6.1 setup. The seventh speaker would only be useful in a large room. The signal sent to both rear surround channels is the same. It does not matter which rear surround terminals you use for the sixth speaker, for the same reason.

Enjoy :cool:

·
Registered
576 Posts
I would be concerned about using one speaker from one channel. It makes an uneven load on the amp and I believe that's bad for the amp. I'd look at getting 2 inexpensive speakers (like the AR 15's at jandr.com for $59 and shipping) and place them right next to each other. Since the information is the same, it would sound fine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the feedback.

I have auditioned the Klipsch speakers again and I am still convinced.

I also think I'm going to go with the 525 although the new HK models look slick, but I'm not sure the addition of Dolby IIx is worth double the price, or the wait. Link to the new models:

AVR630

I had the same question about 7.1 to 6.1. HK has the logic 7, it does a bunch of different things but does not decode an actual Right Rear and Left Rear. Mfrom the manual it appears that a 6 speaker system has all the advantages of a 7 speaker system (unless you have a large room like Highland121 said)

link to the AVR525 manual ... page 29 has the surround mode chart. I think that answers the question.

AVR525 Manual

AVR 525 owners....of the logic 7 modes which do you use and for what material? Do you like it? Has anyone compared it to Lexicon and how does it stand up considering the cost differences?

again thanks for the feedback

-neurotica

·
Registered
12,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by neurotica
thanks for the feedback.

I have auditioned the Klipsch speakers again and I am still convinced.

I also think I'm going to go with the 525 although the new HK models look slick, but I'm not sure the addition of Dolby IIx is worth double the price, or the wait. Link to the new models:

AVR630

I had the same question about 7.1 to 6.1. HK has the logic 7, it does a bunch of different things but does not decode an actual Right Rear and Left Rear. Mfrom the manual it appears that a 6 speaker system has all the advantages of a 7 speaker system (unless you have a large room like Highland121 said)

link to the AVR525 manual ... page 29 has the surround mode chart. I think that answers the question.

AVR525 Manual

AVR 525 owners....of the logic 7 modes which do you use and for what material? Do you like it? Has anyone compared it to Lexicon and how does it stand up considering the cost differences?

again thanks for the feedback

-neurotica
In the AVR 525 Logic 7 can be either a 5.1 or 7.1, and in 7.1 the back surround speakers are in Stereo. And has Cinema and Music modes, in the Cinema mode the center channel dialog frequencies are a little hotter than in the Music mode. Logic 7 can take either a stereo analog or PCM bitstream, also it is similar to the Lexicon version however the Lexicon is more versatile due its higher DSP power. However Logic 7 works incredibly well, and keep in mind that HK has used it now for 3 generations in its 7.1 AVRs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.