AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For PQ I want to know you guys opinions and these two TV types. I used to be of the opinion that Direct Views were always better than RPTVs for PQ until I actually researched and bought a RPTV recently. Now I think differently. It seems to me that with a good digital signal(HDTV, Progessive Scan) etc. that an RPTV can look just as good if not better than a Direct View. The only thing Direct Views have over RPTVs is that they are brighter/sharper than RPTVs.

What are you guys opinions on this topic? Am I totally off base or what?

·
Registered
421 Posts
For some reason direct view controls my 'drool gland'. But I'm not sure if that's the best way to tell which is actually better. ...but then again I don't think I've ever seen a properly calibrated rptv in a store, or direct view for that matter.

Yesterday I stopped by a "high-end" store here in Lexington KY (in downtown). I was amazed at how BAD the images were. Sure, the plasmas looked pretty good, but the rptvs and direct views looked horrible. Some of the worst HD I've ever seen (the Mark Cuban Show was on). Point, I was looking for a 16x9 direct view set, they had none (yet stock every other sony hd set in existence).

I'd vote direct view, but not until I get a little more hd experience.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Throw viewing distance into the equation if you want to really enjoy the visual impact that HD can offer. If you want to watch HD from 4-5ft away consider buying a directview. If you want to watch HD from say 8ft away or further consider a RPTV. Some of course go even further and build something more akin to a home theater and use Front Projector systems.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it true that RPTVs with their larger screens have higher resolutions than directv views which inturn allows you to see more detail in HD and DVD material than you could viewing the same material on a direct view?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tmdorsey
Is it true that RPTVs with their larger screens have higher resolutions than directv views which inturn allows you to see more detail in HD and DVD material than you could viewing the same material on a direct view?
Yes and No. It just depends on the set and the material. Also upon your definition of "detail." If you just mean lines of resolution, most RPTVs will best most DirectViews. However, contrast plays a role in detail. Most direct views have it all over RPTVs for contrast. Also consider material. For DVD, I really don't think there's enough detail for an RPTV to beat a DirectView in detail of image. For HD, the better the source, the more the RPTV will show over the DirectView.

Last night I did a very deliberate comparison of my RCA 38310 and my Sony 53HS10 RPTV, using the Dodgers game on HDNET. I watched on the RCA for about an hour, went upstairs and watched on the Sony for an hour or so, then back to the RCA. Finally back to the Sony for the last inning. Here are my observations: (BTW, both sets are calibrated with Video Essentials)

Sony: Pluses - big picture, my recliner was pulled up to about 7 feet from screen and the picture was very involving. The detail was very good (although I must say this is not the very best baseball game picture HDNET has broadcast - still very good HD) Minuses - the image didn't have the snap and contrast I'd like to have seen. Colors do not appear as bright and shadow detail, like when the camera view is on the stands and there are darker areas in the background, or when it shows the players in the dugout where they are not illuminated as brightly as the field - these were not as realistic.

RCA: Pluses - contrast overall much, much better than the Sony. You can see into the shadows and everything looks more real, and less like a picture of reality. Sharpness is enhanced by the contrast (apparently, anyway.) I viewed from various distances, including about 4 feet away, where the vertical striping of the tube just begins to be a distraction. At that distance the apparent field of view is equal to the Sony at 7 feet or so. Best views were at about 5-6 feet, where the RCA really kind of blew away the Sony overall. Minuses - you need to be a little bit closer to really enjoy the HD effect. There is a (well documented) geometry misalignment (unique to the big tube DirectView and probably a result of its size and compromises in getting that big a pix) that only occasionally is noticeable - mainly when panning across brick walls, for example. This is a known defect of the RCA and something I've decided I can live with, given the set's other virtues and incredible value.

Overall: The RCA wins for viewing enjoyment, natural reproduction of colors and contrast, and "you are there" excitement factor - as long as you can sit 5 or 6 feet away. The Sony wins if you've got a room full of people who must all squeeze in to view. It has a higher wow factor for OAR movies in 2.35 ratio since that gets even smaller on the RCA. But for most viewing, I usually choose the RCA for best picture.

Just my 02

:) John

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Newbie alert:

"NOTE...Information regarding HDTV displays should be posted in the proper displays area."

This is clearly stated in the section heading. Poll needs to be moved to the appropriate section.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Ok. I'll ask the obvious question. What is the proper display area for an RPTV vs. direct view set poll and why? Once in the display area, only one type of display may be chosen.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks gnosys. I've been looking for a good comparision of HD displayed on a direct view set and HD displayed on a RPTV. I guess I also knew that direct view provide better a picture than RPTVs, but HD looks so good on my RPTV that I can't really tell a difference from the direct view HD televisions I see in stores.

I know one of the main reasons I went with a RPTV over a direct view was size. The HDTV I purchased was going to purchase was going into a room that's 16'X16'. My viewing distance from the tv would be about 10'. As you stated in your analysis for a 38' set you need to be sitting at least 6' from the set to enjoy the benefits of HD. I have a 47" HD set and when I sit about 7' or 8' feet from it the detail I see is great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.