AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

Before I get started, I'd like to provide a little background info.

I'm only 13 years old and I love Audio/Video. I'm trying my best to learn new things about designing speakers and to earn money for Audio Equipment.

When I become an adult, I really want to go into the field of Designing and Building speakers. For now, I'm working on getting a better setup.

Here is a link to my current setup. http://img140.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=photo1tmo.jpg

I use two Klipsch Heresy HBR's along with an odd homemade subwoofer.

It's all powered by a sony STR-GA7ES and a 300 Watt Bay Audio Sub amplifier.

I also have an Audio Technica turntable and Mid 2008 Windows Vista Computer for Media Purposes.

I really love my Amp setup and my heresy's, but the Subwoofer kills me.

It was my first project from when I was 11. My dad and I had not a lick of sense about designing speakers, so it turned out more like a PA speaker.

The tweeter has been disconnected and the woofer stand in this giant enclosure about 3 Cubic Feet.

It'll play loud down to about 28-30 HZ, and takes a lot to max out. It's not the best for music though...

With the Woofer turned on, it usually gives me a headache due to it's giant bump somewhere around 40-60 HZ. I usually just use the Heresy's and turn on the Woofer if I want to watch a movie or something similar.

The system has it's sweet spot, and then it's ugly spots.

I usually sit in the middle of the room with no obstructions, and that doesnt sound too bad.

Imagine maybe a 45 degree angel in the center of the system that extends to the room. That sounds OK.

To the major left and right, especially the corners, it sounds pretty bad.

The bass may be loud and boomy, or the high's may be out of balance and sharp.

Now that I've bored you to death, let me explain what I would like to ask the community.

I want some opinions on a pair of nice floor standing speakers.

I'm a sucker for Klipsch. But I also want to think out of my box.

I really like listening to Regina Spektor, Ingrid Michaelson. As well other singer/songwriter music.

Something that makes Pianos and Vocals sound true and real, but also sounds descent on other Genres of music like Classic Rock or Pop.

I just want some more seasond personal preferences on speaker brands and models. I'm still discovering things every day!

PS: Sorry for my incorrect spelling...

·
Registered
98 Posts
What is your budget? That might help other recommend speakers for you. I have a pair of Polk Audio Monitor II 50's that I picked up real cheap from Newegg. I think they sound great IMHO. If I had a little bit bigger budget at the time I would have went for the Polk M70's instead. They are great sounding budget speakers.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'd like to encourage you to pursue your goal of build & design. If you have the sticktoitiveness and resolve to do it, starting at 13 is an awesome way launch and you'll be a force to be reckoned with at 31. Buy, read, and copy the designs from the good books, read and post to the DIY forums for help. Get an EE. Make yourself a millionaire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelf  /t/1420593/opinions-for-a-starter#post_22227402

I'd like to encourage you to pursue your goal of build & design. If you have the sticktoitiveness and resolve to do it, starting at 13 is an awesome way launch and you'll be a force to be reckoned with at 31. Buy, read, and copy the designs from the good books, read and post to the DIY forums for help. Get an EE. Make yourself a millionaire.

Thank you for your encouragement!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts