AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering this integrated amp for my office desktop setup because it has all the features I need (USB/coax/optical inputs, 2 analog inputs, subwoofer out, headphone out), it's received great reviews, and is now discounted at $399. However, I've also seen a few comments about reliability problems and UI glitches. If you own one (especially longtime owners), what are your thoughts?

Alternately, can anyone suggest another unit that has the features I listed in parentheses above that's comparatively priced? There's an Elac integrated supposedly being released next month, but that's $200 more, so I'm hesitant about it.

Registered
I've had my D3020 for about three and a half years now, and it's still going strong. The only reliability issue I've had is that the display is no longer as bright as it used to be, but otherwise everything functions great. It's a fantastic office amp, I use it on my desk to power PSB Image B4s and use a variety of sources - USB, optical from a Chromecast Audio, analog in from a TV, and Bluetooth.

I'm not sure what kind UI glitches there would be - the power and source "buttons" aren't great but I wouldn't call them glitchy. I just use the remote for power and source.

I do wish I could adjust the auto shutoff timer, and make unused sources inactive so you don't have to scroll them all, but these are pretty minor.

$399 is a great deal on this amp.

Registered
I think the most important things it to understand this amp for what it is. It is a compact, Class-D amp with a pretty high feature set.

Being compact, it sounds ideal for the situation you described. Though a very modest amount of power, it should be sufficient for a small office.

If you could see you way to the NAD D7050 which has a Network Connection that would give you access to Internet Radio and Network Streaming plus services like Spotify. The D7050 also has considerably more amp power, though still in the modest range.

http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers/D-3020-Hybrid-Digital-Amplifier

http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers/D-7050-Direct-Digital-Network-Amplifier

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_745D3020/NAD-D-3020.html?search=NAD_D3020&skipvs=T

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_745D7050/NAD-D-7050.html?search=NAD_D7050&skipvs=T

How important is it that the amp be very compact?

For a good amp with Digital Inputs, plenty of power, and Network Streaming, it is hard to beat the Yamaha RN602 (80w/ch, $550), but it is full side audio equipment.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RN602/Yamaha-R-N602.html?search=Yamaha_RN602&skipvs=T

In something compact, the Cambridge Audio Minx Xi could serve your needs -

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/network-players/minx-xi

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_779MINXXIB/Cambridge-Audio-Minx-Xi-Black.html

It Depends on what you are going to connect where and how.

If the Computer and Amp are close together, then you can connect the Audio using a USB DAC, or directly into the USB-PC input if the amp has one.

However, if the Laptop is on your desk and the sound system is behind you on a shelf, a wired connection is not going to be as easy.

If you have a wireless Network connection, then you can stream audio to the Network Capable Amp.

There are a lot of details missing that would influence our recommendations. For example, what is your audio source, and where will the Amp be in proximity to the Source?

As a Illustration, if it is a desktop computer (more or less) attached to the desk you sit at, then a direct USB DAC is easy. Or the C3020 has a USB input. However, if the computer body, assuming a computer source, is away from the Stereo system, then the connection gets more complicated.

What will best serve your needs is contain in all the details you haven't given us.

The Marantz MCR-611 has TONS of feature, AM/FM, 40w/ch, CD, Network Streaming, and more -

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_642MCR611/Marantz-M-CR611.html?search=Marantz_611&skipvs=T

But do you have any need for a CD Player? If you are dealing with pure digital files or Internet Streaming, then you probably don't need the CD Aspect.

Not necessarily a small amp, but very low cost, high power, loaded with features would be the Harman Kardon HK3770 ($450) -

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_532HK3770/Harman-Kardon-HK-3770.html?tp=47041

So, for me, these are the factors I would need to know to determine the suitability of the NAD D3020.

- What is the source and where is that source relative to where you anticipate placing the Sound system?

- What will be the source of most of your content? CD? Network Streaming from Local Storage? Internet Streaming? Other?

The NAD D3020 is a good versatile compact little amp. That is not in question, the question is, will it do what you need done? You have to ask if it serves your needs and fit your circumstances. I can't fault it for what it is, but is what it is what you need?

I don't have enough information to say one way or the other.

Steve/bluewizard

Registered
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
These are my criteria: USB/coax/optical inputs (an additional USB input for a phone would be nice but not essential), 2 analog inputs, subwoofer out, headphone out, small size to fit horizontally under my monitor stand. More than 2 analog inputs, phono stage, and other extra traditional receiver/integrated amp features are cons. This eliminates a lot of candidates, and the NAD D3020, D7050, and the upcoming Elac are the only units that I know of that satisfy all these criteria for under a grand. Power output isn't a big factor because the speakers are a foot away from my ears.

Registered
I would point out that one of the inputs on the D3020 is dual purpose - analog/optical in. So if you need two analog inputs, you will only have one optical input and vice versa. I tried the headphone out once and I think it's pretty average, but I never use it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I would point out that one of the inputs on the D3020 is dual purpose - analog/optical in. So if you need two analog inputs, you will only have one optical input and vice versa. I tried the headphone out once and I think it's pretty average, but I never use it.
I'm not sure how they were able to pull off that dual input since optical and analog seem to be require totally different types of electromagnetic signals and interfaces, but I can cope with it. Hopefully the headphone out is at least as good as the one on my iPhone and won't have any channel imbalance at moderate volumes like units I've had from Parasound and Audioengine.

Registered
I'm not sure how they were able to pull off that dual input since optical and analog seem to be require totally different types of electromagnetic signals and interfaces, but I can cope with it. Hopefully the headphone out is at least as good as the one on my iPhone and won't have any channel imbalance at moderate volumes like units I've had from Parasound and Audioengine.
The dual input is just a 3.5mm jack. I don't think it's that uncommon, I remember having one on a Minidisc player years ago.

I don't recall any channel imbalance on the headphone out.

Registered
Not sure if you've pulled the trigger on this already, but I have one and really like it - as long as you're within your power requirements.

The D7050 doesn't have any analog inputs, otherwise I would have opted for that.

I use the D3020 to drive some Klipsch RP280-F (which require very low power to make a lot of sound) and it really sounds fantastic. The amp's distortion is essentially zero (0.008% if memory serves) which is part of the reason they sound so great for me.

-BC

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure if you've pulled the trigger on this already, but I have one and really like it - as long as you're within your power requirements.

The D7050 doesn't have any analog inputs, otherwise I would have opted for that.

I use the D3020 to drive some Klipsch RP280-F (which require very low power to make a lot of sound) and it really sounds fantastic. The amp's distortion is essentially zero (0.008% if memory serves) which is part of the reason they sound so great for me.

-BC
Thanks for the input. I've only received positive feedback so I've decided on this unit unless I learn something new. I'm just waiting for my Crutchfield rewards credit from my last purchase to become available before I pull the trigger.

Registered
Thanks for the input. I've only received positive feedback so I've decided on this unit unless I learn something new. I'm just waiting for my Crutchfield rewards credit from my last purchase to become available before I pull the trigger.
Soooo... did you get it, and if so, how do you like it?

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Soooo... did you get it, and if so, how do you like it?
Yes, I did end up buying it, but it was a big mistake. Must have gotten a lemon. Lots of problems with unresponsive controls as other users have reported, as well as the volume randomly jumping to 100% for no reason. Finally traded it in under warranty for a D7050, which has been working much better, aside from occasional connectivity issues with iOS devices. Hoping the v2 addressed some of these issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts