AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking pretty hard about the velodyne cht threesome for $199, and have just "auditioned" klipsch Synergy III fronts and center at BestBuy. I was very pleased with the sound, but can't come near the price right now...

So my question is would I expect comparable sound from the velodyne's?

My current setup is an Onkyo HTIB, the receiver is an HT R410...

Thanks for any opinions....I can provide more info if needed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So that means two things:

1. I'm an idiot.

2. I definitely can't afford 5 klipsch speakers.

I guess what I'm getting at, is are these velodyne's a good replacement? Since it's five, I'm even more tempted to get em, but I'd like to know if these are considered in the same league as the klipsch ones I heard today.

Thanks for the info and opinions.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrell /forum/post/0

I guess what I'm getting at, is are these velodyne's a good replacement? Since it's five, I'm even more tempted to get em, but I'd like to know if these are considered in the same league as the klipsch ones I heard today.

i don't know how they'll compare to those klipsch speakers you listened to. but the velo's will be significantly better than the onkyo speakers in terms of clarity and imaging ability. they're a great deal for $199, and considering that you could probably recoup at least 75% of that cost by selling the onkyo speakers via craigslist or ebay, this deal becomes even more attractive.

·
Registered
29,326 Posts
I think the Klispch and Velodyne are a completely different sound. If you're talking about the Klipsch Synergy 3 bookshelf speakers they have that horn tweeter which emphasizes high frequencies. Some people love them, some hate them. I'm not a fan myself, I think they're too bright.

Based on reviews the Velodynes have a mellower sound.

The Klipsch is a bigger speaker so it'll produce more bass. But the cost of a pair of those bookshelves is more than the whole set of Velodynes. And if you're talking floorstanding speakers, then you're comparing apples vs oranges.

Here's an old review of the Velodynes.
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...rs-8-2000.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.