AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody anxiously anticipating the MS Smart Displays from Viewsonic et al as a Wireless PC Control, vs. a notebook running XP Pro's Remote Desktop Service, the Progear or other altertnatives?

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Microsoft Windows Powered Smart Displays: Windows XP Anywhere in the Home

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/smartdisplay/

Smart Displays (formerly codenamed "Mira" devices) extend the Windows XP experience to any room in the home. Using an integrated local wireless connection and touch screen display, you can quickly and conveniently access your Windows XP PC from anywhere around the house. You'll enjoy access to all your information, applications, and services in a more relaxed, informal setting.

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hoo-wa. Well, the Viewsonic airpanel V110, a 10-inch display, will soak you a cool grand at amazon.com. Compare that to a Progear which can be had for around $600 on E-bay. But the V110 does come with an upgrade to XP Pro, which costs around $200 (and which you need to run this).

It looks to me like there are cheaper ways to get the Remote Desktop feature of XP Pro. But cheaper doesn't always mean better, especially since this is integrated with the OS.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't LOVE to get my hands on one, though . . .:cool:

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Progear was before it's time.

As a result, more elegant solutins present themselves such as tne Smart Displays which as you point out is fully integrated with the OS.

Prices will fall like a rock (+/- $500 by Xmas 2003) and Smart Displays with built in IR controllers will be a hit.

Things like Progear and the as yet to be released iPronto are pioneers to be admired, but this category is going wide and deep in both the enterprise as well as the home theater and home automation markets especially with the next iteration of Win XP Media OS.

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I'm very interested in these new XP based tablets, because they don't require a dedicated, separate client application, which would be required for the PocketPC in most cases. For me in particular, my CQC client will be able to run on these tablets as is, providing full featured support, on a reasonably sized screen, compared to a PocketPC, which is so limited in screen real estate and which would require me to create an entirely new client.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
But Dean, Isn't remote desktop the real benefit here?

I mean running these tablet PC's off of a 802.11B network has some serious delay issues.

I think the point here is that the progears and other tablets are designed to be used with remote desktop or the .net servers.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Airblair
Compare that to a Progear which can be had for around $600 on E-bay. But the V110 does come with an upgrade to XP Pro, which costs around $200 (and which you need to run this).
I have not upgraded my Progear to XP yet, but I know some people that have no problems running XP Pro.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"I mean running these tablet PC's off of a 802.11B network has some serious delay issues.

"

Does't the Progear run over a 802.11B network to access the "host" PC?

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
But Dean, Isn't remote desktop the real benefit here?
CQC is completely client/server based, and it can very easily run on a wireless network, using barely a few percent of network capacity. I do it all the time with my laptop. I am assuming that people using these for CQC would just be running the client side apps on it, with the server apps running on a server machine that is doing all of the device control.

I don't know what the issues are with keeping the desktop updated when it's undocked. But that's not anything I can do anything about, and I would assume it's not too bad, or no one is going to buy them anyway and it'll be a moot point. For me, the issue is that portable devices which run 'real' operating systems (which WinCE is not, because it cannot host any real world C++ programs due to it's lack of C++ exception support), because it means that I can concentrate on the making the product better instead of having to maintain two client side code bases.

In a couple more years, somethign the size of a PocketPC would likely be able to run a slimmed down XP I would bet. Of course, by then, MS would like to believe that everyone in the world will have tied themselves to MS by using their compact framework and C# and whatnot. But I don't see that as a smart move in the long term.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.