AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading and searching, for the past couple months, I am deciding between the hitachi 50v500 lcd, and the samsung 50 in dlp. I can get the samsung with a 3 year for 3000 and the hitachi with a 3 year for 2700. from what I have read on this forum,, it is 50/50 with either tv. it seams some people love them no problems and some people are having major or minor problems. I really like the picture on the hitachi, but am afraid of problems. I am open to all opinions, even for other tv's. but really don't want anything smaller than a 50 in. and this is for a living room and not a theater.

thanks everyone

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
spare-ho:

Welcome to AVS Forum!

We have had the 50" Samsung DLP for over a year now and absolutely love it! We have tweaked it and feed it digital cable and DVD via DVI connections and the HD is astounding, DVDs are great, digital cable is good and analog SD ranges from good to not so good (our local cable company doesn't seem to use much compression so our feed is better than most but some SD is just a poor signal). We sit eight feet away from the screen in our "normal" chairs but when we have people over for a movie, we put a row in front of ours - no problems (although SD TV probably wouldn't look so good that close). Together with a 7.1 sound system (10 speakers including a subwoofer), we have a nice 11' X 13' media room.

I'm sure you can find folks who really like their Hitachi LCD, too.

Basically you need to do a lot of reading about each set. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find lots on the Samsungs here.

Two cautions: first, showrooms are notorious for not setting up their TVs properly, so it is VERY difficult to make comparisons there. If possible, try to see a set that someone has setup properly and has calibrated (tweaked) it reasonably well. Second, don't be frightened off by all the complaints here - this is a discussion area and we tend to talk about things that go wrong so it appears as if some popular equipment is poor as a result. For every complaint, there are many, many more very happy owners and AVS Forum is a great place to come if you, too, run into problems.

Good luck!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Whichever looks better to you is the "best TV under $3500."

If go DLP make sure you buy it from a store with a no hassle 30 day return policy, actually LCD too. The reason why I specified DLP first is because of the reported eyestrain, headaches and rainbows some people experience. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.