AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a pro-sumer/tinkerer/geek that is burnt out on having to tinker/mess with unreliable stuff. I want more-or-less plug and play. I've got a vacation home with a very expensive Kaleidescape system that was spec'd out 3 years ago before the home was built and before Blu-Ray was as widely used. I don't want to throw out the Kaleidescape system and I don't want to spend another $20K on another similar system. But I also don't want to wait indefinitely for Kaleidescape to get their act together and offer a High-Def upgrade unit.

Going against the keep it simple mentality I'm trying to adopt, I recently spent a lot of time backing up my Blu-Ray collection to MKV files which I transcoded to reduce the filesizes to about 1/3 without any visible degradation in picture quality (used cRF=18 on the encoder) To save space I also transcoded the High-Def audio to FLAC (even though normal AC3 and DTS 1.5 are essentially transparent - but lets not get into that discussion
So for fun, since I already had a PS3 hooked up I ran an Ethernet cable from my gigabit router under the house to the PS3, loaded up PS3MediaServer on my PC and wa la, it works great! I don't care about the ability to play entire DVD or BD structures with menus and all because I just rip the main movie only anyways.

I decided to swap out a Blu-Ray Player at the vacation home for a Popcorn Hour C-200 based on lots of people recommending it. Unlike most purchases, I didn't research this one to death. Well suffice to say the experience has been extremely disappointing. In all my years I can't remember running across a more buggy product being sold to the general public. To see more of my rant on this you can go here (I won't bore you repeating it here)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post18183502

So know I'm trying to decide between just duplicating my PS3 setup, or Going for a Dune 3.0 device. I would prefer to plug my external drive directly into the playback device versus rely on the reliability of a Wireless N network in a 7,400 sq ft home and rely on open source software such as PS3MediaServer but I suppose if it works it works. Too bad you can't just plug an external drive directly into the PS3 and play MKVs.

The advantage to using the PS3 would be we could play High-Def games on a 10-foot projection screen in the theater. But there's a 55" plasma in the room right outside I can connect it there so someone could play games while others are watching a movie in the theater. But the reality is that would very very rarely happen.

So I'm turn between Dune 3.0, PS3 + PS3MediaServer, or some other solution maybe? I just need a reliable, plug-n-play solution that a) Plays Blu-Ray Discs, b) plays MKVs, and c) streams Netflix high-def movies like the PS3 does with the NetFlix disc (which Dune is suppose to be coming out with.) I just don't want to waste my time, again.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If I were in your position, I would go with the Dune Prime.

·
Registered
144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant /forum/post/18183686

I'm a pro-sumer/tinkerer/geek that is burnt out on having to tinker/mess with unreliable stuff. I want more-or-less plug and play. I've got a vacation home with a very expensive Kaleidescape system that was spec'd out 3 years ago before the home was built and before Blu-Ray was as widely used. I don't want to throw out the Kaleidescape system and I don't want to spend another $20K on another similar system. But I also don't want to wait indefinitely for Kaleidescape to get their act together and offer a High-Def upgrade unit.

Going against the keep it simple mentality I'm trying to adopt, I recently spent a lot of time backing up my Blu-Ray collection to MKV files which I transcoded to reduce the filesizes to about 1/3 without any visible degradation in picture quality (used cRF=18 on the encoder) To save space I also transcoded the High-Def audio to FLAC (even though normal AC3 and DTS 1.5 are essentially transparent - but lets not get into that discussion
So for fun, since I already had a PS3 hooked up I ran an Ethernet cable from my gigabit router under the house to the PS3, loaded up PS3MediaServer on my PC and wa la, it works great! I don't care about the ability to play entire DVD or BD structures with menus and all because I just rip the main movie only anyways.

I decided to swap out a Blu-Ray Player at the vacation home for a Popcorn Hour C-200 based on lots of people recommending it. Unlike most purchases, I didn't research this one to death. Well suffice to say the experience has been extremely disappointing. In all my years I can't remember running across a more buggy product being sold to the general public. To see more of my rant on this you can go here (I won't bore you repeating it here)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post18183502

So know I'm trying to decide between just duplicating my PS3 setup, or Going for a Dune 3.0 device. I would prefer to plug my external drive directly into the playback device versus rely on the reliability of a Wireless N network in a 7,400 sq ft home and rely on open source software such as PS3MediaServer but I suppose if it works it works. Too bad you can't just plug an external drive directly into the PS3 and play MKVs.

The advantage to using the PS3 would be we could play High-Def games on a 10-foot projection screen in the theater. But there's a 55" plasma in the room right outside I can connect it there so someone could play games while others are watching a movie in the theater. But the reality is that would very very rarely happen.

So I'm turn between Dune 3.0, PS3 + PS3MediaServer, or some other solution maybe? I just need a reliable, plug-n-play solution that a) Plays Blu-Ray Discs, b) plays MKVs, and c) streams Netflix high-def movies like the PS3 does with the NetFlix disc (which Dune is suppose to be coming out with.) I just don't want to waste my time, again.

The Dune is the way to go. You'll love it. I have one and it's the best gadget I have.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts