AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see plenty of sub builds, and I plan to build one myself, but I am just starting to put together my theater room, and am needing surrounds first. I have just purchased a Yamaha 663 and have some older Pioneer towers (12,8,4,tweet each) that I will use for fronts for now. The question is... is it worth building your own surrounds and center or can you buy them for about the same price for the same quality you could build? I don't see alot of builds like this, and I wonder what the reason is. If you suggest building what are your suggestions as to what speakers to use and where to buy. The room is 16X17.

·
Registered
573 Posts
You can build amazing speakers if you have some wood working and electronics skills. You'll also need some tools. I've built twelve sets of speakers and the tools I used most were: table saw, router, circular saw, drill, jig saw, palm sander, biscuit joiner and soldering iron. I enjoyed doing projects around the house and had accumulated a lot of these tools. I could substitute the circular saw for the table saw or even get someone at Home Depot to make some cuts. But I don't have a substitute for my router. There is no way I can cut a perfect circle with a jig saw. Also, the roundover bits are a must for a router. So if you're going to get into the speaker building hobby, get a good plunge router. Also, the soldering iron is an absolute must if you are going to assemble crossovers.

Go to this thread and scroll down to post number 2562 and you'll get a good answer to your question about being worth the effort.

If you look at this thread, I posted quite a few sites you can go to for kits, parts and plans: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post15549565

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link. I do have all of those tools plus many more in my shop. I ran an auto restoration business there for about 6 years and have the tools to build just about anything out of wood or metal. Also, I've dabbled a bit with carbon fiber layup
. I'll take some time tomorrow to look through those websites in the link. I'd love to build my entire setup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts