Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have not heard this speaker or even the Beethovens. The only VA I have listened to was the Schonberg and that was not very impressive. Now I am getting a deal on ebay where I can get a 2 month old Strauss pair at 40% of the price. The guy will give me the original invoice and I will pay cash when I go to collect the speakers so the chances of getting scammed are very remote. My questions are:

1. Has anyone done A/B of this speakers with VSA VR4JRs or Dali Helicons (my favorite speaker so far) and what were the impression?

2. How good is the center (Oratorio) in this series? I have heard people saying that Maestro is the weak link if you buy Beethovens.

3. Any opinions about the sound of these speakers?

Sincerely,

-dollarman

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok just to share this piece of info with everyone I now know what the catch is. I am not sure whether the owner was being honest or not and if he knew about the problem. The Strauss pair being offered was in Beech colour and other than the Oratorio center no other VA speaker is available in this finish anymore. What's even worse is that NONE of the Strauss finishes would match any other VA speaker except Oratorio. So if you wanna buy Strauss and than run a full 5/7 VA set up afterwards simply forgot about it until you wanna use different colour surrounds :D

I don't know what drugs the VA designers were using when they singled out one of their premium models out of their own speaker family.

So don't be tempted if you see any VA speakers going cheap in beech colour.

Sincerely,

-dollarman

·
Registered
882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarman
.....Beech colour and other than the Oratorio center no other VA speaker is available in this finish anymore. ....

Sincerely,

-dollarman
According to http://www.sumikoaudio.net/va/idx_ref.htm they are still all available in all colors. Maybe it's just your local dealer.

I've run 7.1 a VA setup for couple of years & still love it....Mahler,Oratorio,Waltz & VeloDD18.

Very smooth sound...only downside is they are power-hungry and pricey.

Good luck.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunlab
According to http://www.sumikoaudio.net/va/idx_ref.htm they are still all available in all colors. Maybe it's just your local dealer.

I've run 7.1 a VA setup for couple of years & still love it....Mahler,Oratorio,Waltz & VeloDD18.

Very smooth sound...only downside is they are power-hungry and pricey.

Good luck.
I did not get this info from a dealer but directly from VA ([email protected]). In the new price sheet they gave me beech was not available anymore except Mahler, Strauss and Oratorio. This is exactly what they wrote back:

please note that STRAUSS and ORATORIO are only available in black ash,

beech and "old" rosewood while WALTZ Grand is only available in the new

finishes.

The only thing we can offer is former WALTZ in former rosewood which is

different in color and structur.

Please find enclosed the german retail-pricelist to your information.

I than called their sales directly and they confirmed this.

The best part is, at least in Europe, the only finishes they have for Oratorio and Strauss is Black, Beech and Rosewood. Now these exact finishes are not available at all in any of their other lines i.e. Beethoven and downwards. You can approximate Rosewood with new rosewood, which they have confirmed is a little bit different and black with Piano Black which is again different in texture.

I don't understand how can they expect a person to spend megabucks on these speakers and than have either closely matched or totally unmatched surrounds.

Maybe my information is not valid for US but I still wanted to share it with other forum members.

Sincerely,

-dollarman

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.