AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have sold my Elite 510 and are considering replacing it with the Elite 530 or the smaller (fits better in my new home) Samsung HLN617W. I expect to lose on quality with the Samsung versus the Elite but I would like to know how much. I hope to see the Samsung somewhere soon.

Thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just (yesterday) replaced my 610 with the Samsumg HLN617 and I am VERY HAPPY. The picture right out of the box is amazing even on digital cable. High Def. and DVD are awesome. Bigger screen,smaller lighter box, and no more tubes slowing going dimmer and dimmer over time. I could not be happier!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad to hear you like your Samsung. How do the colors look? Contrast? I am not really excited about giving up my Elite.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Colors are eye popping. If anything too "colorful". I do not think I can give you a complete picture of the color comparison until my bulb has at least 100 hours on it. Contrast is fine so far. After just 3 days I would never go back to a standard rear projection-Elite or otherwise.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by guapote
Colors are eye popping. If anything too "colorful". I do not think I can give you a complete picture of the color comparison until my bulb has at least 100 hours on it. Contrast is fine so far. After just 3 days I would never go back to a standard rear projection-Elite or otherwise.
Have you seen the Elite 630? I saw an enormous improvement between the 610 and the 630. Do you have cable or sat? I wonder how standard broadcast looks versus HD. What screen mode options do you have? I usually watch standard broadcast in natural wide mode on the Elite. By the way, most importantly, why did you make the switch? What motivated you, size, quality or did you get upgrade fever?

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
210 Posts
I don't think the Pioneer Elite series is that great (my personal opinion, no offense meant to any owners). The casing is well built, but the boards at the bottom are not well soldered (that can be rectified fairly simply though with a little hand work) and board quality could be better, especially given the premium (there are many cheaper TVs with better quality in this area I think personally). The tubes and bulbs are not bad, but not that fantastic or unique. I wouldn't worry too much about diminished picture quality. I didn't used to be excited about Samsung TVs but I got some input in a roadmap type discussion by them for some local techs and I think what they are planning in the future is exciting (I am thinking esp. of their future DLP bulbs). They also are migrating to boards that are very easy to work with (probably this is less of an issue for most of us)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Raspewtin
I didn't used to be excited about Samsung TVs but I got some input in a roadmap type discussion by them for some local techs and I think what they are planning in the future is exciting (I am thinking esp. of their future DLP bulbs). They also are migrating to boards that are very easy to work with (probably this is less of an issue for most of us)

What do you see/hear that Samsung is doing in the future?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.