Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm considering buying a Cornea Systems CT1503 15" LCD TV as a gift for my mother. I would like to learn of any experiences you may have had with their products and with the company, and your opinions about how well this unit might suit the application: Watching OTA NTSC in a kitchen.

I will likely use it as a computer monitor if it doesn't work well for Mom, so the lack of DVI and component video (!) don't worry me too much.

I don't think it will measure up well against my Samsung 171MP, but for about $400 delivered, I don't expect it to. Then again, the web site at http://www.corneasystems.com says this product has a three year parts, labor, lamp and cross-ship warranty.

Many thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
674 Posts
Can't give you an opinion on Cornea Systems monitor but I can tell you that Best Buy as the Samsung 150MP for $450 right now after mail in rebate.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by llogan
Can't give you an opinion on Cornea Systems monitor but I can tell you that Best Buy as the Samsung 150MP for $450 right now after mail in rebate.
Wow, looks like I waited a bit too long. They are $500 at Best Buy and there *was* a $100 rebate good until November 30. Now it's $50 until December 14. Also, OfficeDepot.com had a deal where it was priced at $500, there were two $50 rebates and a 10% off coupon for a total price of $350. Of course, the price has gone up to $600 since then.

Now I have a couple days to wait for more specials, or to decide if closed captioning and a company I know is worth $50.

Thanks for the pointer,

Chris

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I visited a local Cornea dealer and saw a CT1503 with my own eyes. I have to say, it's about what I expected and I'm not very impressed.

I took along Tron and tried to use the THX Optimizer to adjust the picture, but the white square was just one big white square and no amount of adjusting contrast or brightness would differentiate the four shades of white.

Another drawback was its somewhat limited viewing angle. Color bars also were poorly defined, but most images were not.

Color and tint were easily adjusted to give good reproduction, and there was no loss of detail in black or dark areas, but it had the standard LCD "no black black" issue.

All in all, I say this is a perfect example of "you get what you pay for" which is an adequate TV for viewing in a bright room for about $400.

But I won't be buying one.

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.