Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

What do you guys think of the Onkyo LSV955 system? It seems to be on sale at ecost right now (refurb). Is it worth getting? How does it compare to similarly priced systems?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
i was actually looking at that system when it first came out, and i auditioned the speakers to replace my speakers a while when i had my 760 HTiB system, and they didn't sound any better than my original speakers that i wanted to replace because they didn't sound good to begin with.

basically, for $385 it would be alright, but that's about it. take it for what it is, an alright HTiB system that look greats and sound alright. as long as you don't expect something great, you should be fine, but if you do than you won't be...

for another $115, you can get the Rocket Tyke bundle from 123av.com, and i would say it would sound MUCH better than the Onkyo. that's just my opinion though...

http://www.**********/products_produc...s&product=42.1

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I've had the LSV950 for about 2 years and I've been happy with it for the most part. I have outgrown it, though. For movies the dialog is a little muddy in the mids and sibilant in the highs, like an over powered tweater. And for music it's okay, but nothing to write home about. It's a nice step up from an Aiwa bookshelf system or something similar.

The sub is nice, even though it only responds to 50hz, and the crossover is smooth and transparent. One of the best parts of the system, to me, is the abundant I/O and the ability to play so many formats: MPG, MP3, VCD, DVD-R, SACD, etc. The learning remote is nice as well. I use it for everything but my Playstation. I'd say it's a good starter or a nice bedroom system for those that are into that kind of thing. In my mind, though, 2 years is enough. I've gotten the taste for A/V gear and I want more power, more music, cleaner sound and HDMI.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.