AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying the Sony 46WT510. I have read some poor reviews of the 500, but most seem to like the newer model 510. Could some of you in the know offer me some opinions on this model?

Thanks

Bill

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have owned the KP-46WT510 for about 2 weeks and am most pleased.

i spent weeks researching the internet, avsforum, and retailers before making the purchase. while i was hoping that some ultimate recommendation article would point me to the single best rptv, there is no article. therefore, i arrived at this purchase via the following:

most rptvs' picture quality is not only subjective, but probably similar (in a surprisingly good way.) if not, it can usually be altered to the viewer's liking. therefore, i decided - against all common sense - to not let the picture be the guide.

instead, i focused on brand reputation, features, and compatibility.

brand reputation: i looked for positive reviews, any reviews, of similar products. also, i looked for reoccurring problems associated with other brands and models. with regards to the KP-46WT510, the larger 57" has received rave reviews, and everyone typically agrees that Sony makes a good tv. while I also looked at the toshiba, i had noticed a number of complaints about a vertical white line, so that made me hesitant.

features: i guess this is a personal thing, but i liked the number of accepted inputs (qty, types, and resolutions) on the Sony, as well as the various display modes and wide screen options. the similarly sized and priced Mits had more options (a plus) but ultimately I was unimpressed by the look of it's big boxy cabinet.

compatibility: having a Sony direcTV receiver with a very similar remote has been a strong benefit. (in fact, i use the satellite remote for the tv since the tv's remote lacks the "exit" button to quickly eliminate the direcTv show information display.) also, i picked up a Sony progressive scan dvd player and the two work harmoniously.

lastly, my plan was to buy and return as many tvs as it took to find the one that i liked. fortunately, as i would imagine is usually the case, the tv looked way better in my home than it did in the store. i haven't even calibrated it yet and am most pleased with the picture quality.

in summary, i would recommend this tv. (especially at the prices i have seen published!) large screen SD viewing takes some getting used to (not the tv's fault), but I can say that my dvd's and xbox games (at 480p) have never looked better. comcast is installing hd cable next week, i can't wait.

have fun.

·
Registered
57 Posts
yes, i like my 46 also, but instead of dropping the additional money for the stand for it, i just exchanged it for a 51 of the same line (due to be delivered dec 1), i just can't seem to get s-link to work between the TV and my receiver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had the 46wt510 for a few weeks. So far I think I made the right decision. I did also consider comprable hitatchi and toshiba models but what made me go with the sony was the reviews for the 510 line along with some positive reviews for the predecessor 500 line. From what I can tell the picture is excellent, the options and features are good. Overall this TV is perfect in terms of screen size and price for me. The only complaint is that this set converts a 720p signal down to 480p instead of up to 960i or 1080i, however my digital/HD cablebox from timewarner can be set to dislay 1080i so this really isn't that big of a deal.

Definatly recommended, especially at the $1400-$1600 price.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I see "DVI-HDTV" all over the spec sheets, but no mention of HDCP. Is this unit's DVI input HDCP-compliant?

·
Registered
430 Posts
-bump-

no answers about DVI-HDCP here?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Never mind. Found my own answer on Sony's glossary page:

"DVI-HDTV. An interface that enables spectacular, uncompressed digital-to-digital transport of a video signal from an HDTV receiver to a "high scanning," "High Definition monitor" or "High Definition upgradeable" television. The connection is also secured by HDCP technology to protect the signal from piracy."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.