AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the general consensus of what RGB switcher to use with a CRT?

I have a Marquee 8500 and I want to feed it: HTPC (with Mike Parker's MP1 mod), a DIsh 6000 (yet to be purchased) which I will also modify with a Mike Parker MP1, and I may end up with one other source.

I have been looking at the Extron Sw4 AR swithcers.

Are they going to degrade what I've accomplished with my MP1?

Am I going to have any problems running combined sync instead of separate H & V?

Should I be looking at something bigger and better? The Extrons are pretty attractive pricing wise right now. I have also thought of one of the Barco RVDS and there is some mod that I remember reading about to allow them use on any other pj.

What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
I have an Extron SW6 AR MX HV switcher (I only have a MP-1 HTPC, HiPix and a Panny TU-HDS20 as sources, but I splurged for the 6x1 to futureproof me) and although it's decidedly overkill for the application, it's 100% transparent in the video chain for my eyes, and that's what it's all about to me. It looks like they've finally discontinued this model, so I guess the new SWx RGBHV (-3dB @ 350MHz, fully loaded) is the reigning champ in the current lineup. I can't help with the synch issue, but if you do find out that you need RGBHV, there's a slightly abused SW4 AR HVxi (-3dB @ 350MHz, fully loaded) for $50 on eBay right now.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Another good choice is the NEC ISS-6010 or 6020 switcher. They are transparent as well, and modular. They can switch RGBHV, VGA, and component. With the optional V-DEC card installed, they can switch and convert multi-standard video as well.

They can be gotten relatively cheap off ebay. The downside is that sometimes you need to buy 2 of them to get all the modules you need. I have 2 that cost me under $300 total. I used all the modules from one to pad out the other, and have a spare chassis now in case it ever breaks. Extron is great stuff, but usually out of my price range. Well, it's an option.

Marc

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have a Barco RCVDS05. It is transparent to the video signal, and it works fine with my G70. You can add up to 10 input modules. I also have it installed with the line doubling board, so it line doubles satelite for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.