Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I'm nearing completion on my new setup. I'm about to order the "second half" of my htpc. I'm STRONGLY considering going with intel. I've tried watching DVD's with this duron I'm setting up for a friend and I'm running into some issues with freezing. I also like the overclock-ability of the 1.6A's.

Anyhow, I may have found the mobo for me. It has some digital sound on board which could prove to be better than my Fortissmo II for the mean time. I won't be upgrading my sound until later for $$ reasons. It's a new mother board made by Abit called the BG7.

http://www.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webjs...MODEL_NAME=BG7

I would obviously be disabling the on board video, however the onboard 24bit spdif I would like to take advantage of.

My requirements for a mobo are onboard LAN (I just prefer it that way) and a passive heatsink on the chipset. As for memory I want to use micron/crucial 512 ddr2100.

What I have so far:

Low profile black desktop from digitalconnection.com with silent mods

WD 80gig 8mb buffer

ATI radeon 7500

What I plan on buying:

Some mobo with above requirements / either intel 1.6A or XP 1800+

512 DDR2100 crucial

black Liteon 16X dvd-rom

black Liteon 32X burner

black floppy drive

Any help?

TIA,

Ross

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone here use onboard audio (with or without spdif?) Can it pass DD? I am pleased with the fortissmo II except for the whole restarting between watching dvds in DD or ANYTHING else. What a headache.

Anyway, I plan on upgrading sound later when things a little more straightened out. But in the mean time will this onboard SPDIF pass DD for dvds, and 2 channel for music/games?

I'm not just addressing Abit in particular, but I've seen these onboard digital audio setups with other mobos (Soyo .. )

The other reason I like the Abit board is their good name as far as overclocking is concerned. I do plan on overclocking the 1.6A.

All help is much appreciated,

Rosco

·
Registered
404 Posts
I own the IT7 and have a 1.6a with SPDIF and recommend it highly. You can run it with an Alpha heatsink sans fan without a hitch.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I bought a Soyo Fire Dragon and LOOOOOOVE it. I put a 1.6A in there and OC'd it to 2.136Ghz easily. I bet I could go higher as I've not messed with VCore or anything... just bumped the FSB to 133... easiest OC I've ever done. It has been unbelievably stable and I use the on board S/PDIF for PCM and DD/DTS to my receiver without hiccups of any sort. For me it is the all singing all dancing motherboard of the ages. Oh, I just saw them at Fry's for $159 which brings the price much more in line with the rest of the nice P4 boards (alright... it's still high, but the featureset is outstanding).

I've been an AMD devotee for years, and only now am I seeing the folly of my ways. My experiences with Intel chipsets and Procs as of late has shown me the light.

-rick

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Voop, Kkrull,

Thanks for your replies. Both of those are a bit more $$ than what I was looking at. I'd have no problems going with that instead if it's gonna save me money on replacing my sound card down the line.

Can those SPDIF's output Dolby Digital from dvd rom AND stereo from mp3s over the same cable?

My fortissmo II can, but to switch between you need to change a couple of settings, and restart the pc. What a pain in the arse.

Thanks again,

Ross

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.