AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an embedded hardware designer by trade and I've had an idea on the back burners for some time now. I've always wanted to be able to monitor / control my HVAC with a web browser but I'm not 100% satisfied with the choices available today.

Here's my idea and I'd appreciate you're opinions / feedback.

In a similar vein to the RCS - TR16 thermostat

The main Controller features

Ethernet

RS485

RS232 DCE

Six relays (can be jumper for GP or HVAC)

Two Opto-isolated inputs

Real time clock calender with trickle charger

433 / 315MHz RX and TX

The Thermostat

RS454 or 433 / 315MHz wireless transmitter

LM75 temperature sensor

Optional Humidity

Two digit display (similar to the RC16)

Since the thermostat is designed to be a temperature monitor only I'm on the fence about adding any buttons but that can change and I'll add four buttons (Up, Down, Mode, Fan)

I'll keep updating this thread as the project progresses.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If priced competitively ($100ish) I would be very interested. Many people will want wireless but I am fine with Ethernet.

I have wondered why this doesn't exist.

A CLI (ssh/telnet) to make changes remotely would be awesome and worth probably 2x the price to me.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom /forum/post/19547144

I'm an embedded hardware designer by trade and I've had an idea on the back burners for some time now. I've always wanted to be able to monitor / control my HVAC with a web browser but I'm not 100% satisfied with the choices available today.

Here's my idea and I'd appreciate you're opinions / feedback.

In a similar vein to the RCS - TR16 thermostat

The main Controller features

Ethernet

RS485

RS232 DCE

Six relays (can be jumper for GP or HVAC)

Two Opto-isolated inputs

Real time clock calender with trickle charger

433 / 315MHz RX and TX

The Thermostat

RS454 or 433 / 315MHz wireless transmitter

LM75 temperature sensor

Optional Humidity

Two digit display (similar to the RC16)

Since the thermostat is designed to be a temperature monitor only I'm on the fence about adding any buttons but that can change and I'll add four buttons (Up, Down, Mode, Fan)

I'll keep updating this thread as the project progresses.

Trane makes a zwave wireless based thermostat. You can buy a cheap zwave to ethernet bridge and control the thermostat using any number of programs that are out there for free. Why spend the time when an investment of just under $200 can do it for you?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Got any more links on the Trane/adapter/open source software solution?

I like the Bayweb product, but do not like the idea of relying on their service. I would pay more than originally posted after thinking about this and looking at alternatives.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I have been more than happy with a Proliphix unit downstairs.

It supports a remote sensors and will average among them.

Although not open source - you will not have code anything to setup up setback schedules etc... as that is all done.

There are third party apps that will log the thermostat data - even smart phone apps.

I do not use that just set up a port forward, and I can change things from anywhere.

Reading the base controller features - you might want to look at the LanTronix Wiport or Xport.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts