AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My uncle is on the market to upgrade his speakers (currently on some PSB floorstanding), and we just came back from auditioning the Anthony Gallo IIIs....WOW, they sounded incredible, but at that price, I don't know if they are worth it. We also checked the B&W Nautilius 804s, and I personally liked the Nautilus a little better....he seemed to favor the gallo's a little.

any experiences, comments?

·
Registered
371 Posts
If your uncle likes the Ref 3's, and they are in the $ ballpark he's looking at, why not. Several reviewers have stated that the Ref 3's are a steal/bargain at the listed MSRP. I do like the boxless, 3-D soundstage quality they have. The accompanying sub amp is supposed to be shipped out end of August. The Ref Center & Surrounds are supposed to be shipped at the end of September if he's interested in a full HT system.

My .02

Arnold

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any links to reviews, etc?

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have the Ref 3's and they are quite the impressive speaker... Personally I would rather have the Ref 3's over the 802 or 800.... I'm not a huge fan of the B&W sound - too bright and etched for my liking. Then again, not everone likes the sound of the Ref 3's - hence the reason why we all have different speakers :) The Ref 3's have recieved unanamoud praise in the media, and largely positive consumer reviews.

Bob

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so what's the subwoofer amplifer option for?

·
Registered
371 Posts
The Gallo Reference 3 SA enables seamless yet powerful extension of the Reference 3 bass performance to 22Hz flat. Without it, I think it rolls off below 40Hz or so. You can read more about it here. Some of the reviews also mentions how the addition of this amp makes a considerable difference.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekker
The Gallo Reference 3 SA enables seamless yet powerful extension of the Reference 3 bass performance to 22Hz flat. Without it, I think it rolls off below 40Hz or so. You can read more about it here. Some of the reviews also mentions how the addition of this amp makes a considerable difference.

cool!

but, generally speaking, it's gonna be connected in a home for 2-channel audio and/or HT, which means the subwoofer will still be active and the receiver will be doing the x-over of the freqs for the bass.

if you have a dedicated subwoofer, how exactly is this gonna help? :confused:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo
cool!

if you have a dedicated subwoofer, how exactly is this gonna help? :confused:
I would still recommend having a subwoofer, but I'd use it just for HT. Adding the sub amp will make the Ref 3's more 'full-range' speaker thus having a of approximately 22Hz-50KHz as oppose to just below 40Hz to 50KHz. With the sub amp, you can set you processor to Large for the Ref 3's w/o having to worry about missing the lower 1/2 octave or so. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekker
I would still recommend having a subwoofer, but I'd use it just for HT. Adding the sub amp will make the Ref 3's more 'full-range' speaker thus having a of approximately 22Hz-50KHz as oppose to just below 40Hz to 50KHz. With the sub amp, you can set you processor to Large for the Ref 3's w/o having to worry about missing the lower 1/2 octave or so. Hope this helps.

gotcha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.