AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to get a feel for the brand in general. Wondering if someone here has compared them to others in the same price range. I'm looking to add an av5000 series 2 (5 by 125wpc) to my receiver to power Paradigm monitor series speakers. Is this a big enough amp for me to tell a difference? My reciever is a str-da4es. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone with an opinion?

·
Registered
9 Posts
B&K make some very nice amplifiers. They are high current designs and deliver what they say they can deliver. I am not familiar with the av5000 in particular, but know you can pick them up for a good price on audiogon. The b&k I have heard are the newer models and they sounded great. I would put it on the softer side of neutral . It should compete well against the other similar amps in the same power class. You may also want to take a look at ati, outlaw just for comparison. Against your sony 4es, there is no comparison. In 5 channel mode sony can not putout what a any dedicated 5 channel amp can. I know in testing it performed well in two channel power but fell on its face going into 5 and 7 channel. A comparison in power would be to look at you sony putting out an honest 50 watts rms into multi-channel mode vs 125+ watts rms (assuming an 8 ohm load ) which is a good 3db in difference not to mention the more dynamic headroom the seperate amp will have. I hope this helped alittle.

Dave

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Dave, anyone else care to contribute?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.