AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pj and want to chill in my recliner while doing online browsing or some gaming over the pj. I'd like a wireless keyboard and mouse for this but I don't know what products are bunk and which are great. Can you all give me some opinions??

I'd like a combo package to save money but if the best keyboard doesn't come w/ the best mouse I'll pay the extra.

It sounds like the mx700 is a good mouse but I'm not sure if it is top-notch for gaming or not. Some posts seem to say it is as good as a wired model but some hardcore gamers say get the mx500 (wired). Does the mx700 come in any keyboard bundles?

also the gyro mouse sounds popular. Should I consider it? Maybe a mx500 for hardcore gaming and a gyro for the pj room? How is the gyro for gaming?

thx for you input.

rob

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I settled on the Versapoint RF for my keyboard. As wireless keyboards go, it's a really well designed product. The integrated mouse is great for browsing/light use, and I use it for a gaming keyboard with a separate (wired) mouse.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just recieved the Gyration ultra cordless optical suite, haven't tested yet but so far it looks to be of good quality contruction, the keyboard is small and light, range for mouse and board is said to be 25ft.

The mouse can be operated on table top or in the air, sound cool.

test will follow

·
Registered
299 Posts
I am still working on what to get, but DO NOT get the Microsoft Wireless keyboard and mouse setup based on RF (MS bluetooth is supposed to be good) because the keyboard doesn't work up to even its ridiculous 6 ft. range. The mouse does go past 6 ft., but what good does that do?

·
Registered
44 Posts
There is a Logitech press release that says they are finally going to pair up the MX 700 with a wireless keyboard in July (i think). That's the one I am going to get.

If you game at all, you're going to want this combo over the current MS Bluetooth offering. The MX 700 seems to be the only 'gamers' mouse.

·
Registered
107 Posts
There's the old standby Lite-On Airboard available from digital connection. It connects through PS2 connectors as opposed to USB. It's compact, and has an integral mouse/joystick. Windows XP recognizes the volume up/down buttons as well as the play/stop buttons. The volume buttons adjust the master volume on my M-audio Revo 7.1 control panel without any extra drivers. I wish it was a USB/RF keyboard, but for $50 it's a pretty good solution.

CSO

·
Registered
103 Posts
I bought the Gyration Keyboard and Mouse and could not be happier with the performance, range and build quality. Simple to hook up and the range says 25ft but I tested even further. Has great response and is very good for gaming since the keyboard is much smaller than normal but every bit as useful

John

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have to concur that the Logitech MX700 is the best mouse ever. It fits my hand great, has buttons for everything, it's optical (and faster sampling than other optical mice) and it's the only wireless mouse I've used that doesn't lag.

Highly recommended!

·
Registered
32 Posts
What kind of range do you get out of the MX700?? I'm about 10-12 feet from my HTPC and would rather avoid the MS bluetooth solution if possible. (don't think it's mature enough yet.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I can't give you an exact range, but I did just try using the mouse on the otherside of my dorm room (about 10 or 12 feet) and it worked fine.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Stay away from the Intel Wireless Series keyboard and mouse. They eat batteries like mad and the cursor keys are terrible (they're flat and arranged in a "+" instead of the standard inverted-T).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yet another Gyration mouse/keyboard combo vote. The mouse runs on a rechargable battery, so they don't have to bother with power saving tricks so there's great range and no lag. Some people find the mouse a little small in the hand, but it's not an issue for me.

YMMV,

Andy

·
Registered
501 Posts
As far as the Gyration is concerned, does the keyboard run off rechargeables? There is a $250 option with a remote controller. Does the remote contoller function as a mouse as well?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yet another vote for the Gyration mouse/keyboard combo. I switch the output from my HD Card in my HTPC between my projector in my basement and my Sony HD RPTV on main floor. The mouse and keyboard work great in both locations.

Also, as someone already stated, the mouse comes with a rechargable battery and a charger. The keyboard is 5 months old and on the first set of batteries. I do not believe that the keyboards take much power. I leave my mouse in the charger and just pick it up and take it to the room I am going to use it in. No problems! The gyration feature is just a bonus as I rarely use it.

The receiver unit plugs into a USB connection and allows me to also connect a regular keyboard and mouse to the PC, that I use in my "back room" area with a monitor when I am work on the HTPC which saves me from starting up the projector.

Hope this helps!

Mike

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I also use the gryation combo, works pretty good. The keyboard is pretty small. It still takes me a little while to get used to typing on this thing, but I don't do whole lot of typing on my HTPCs. Try it out at before you buy it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got the Microsoft BT mouse and KB, and have been happy so far. The only problem has been getting the stupid MSFT drivers to talk to non-MSFT products, like my T68i phone. But this probably won't be a problem for you. One of the reasons I like the BT solution is that it has a better range than most RF keyboards. Looks nice too. But no pointing deveice built into KB, alas.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I also use MS Bluetooth. Nice looking at sick range(advertised 30' but pushes 50'). But keyboard is a little big and not lit. Mouse is tabletop only. Wish I but a Gyration optical suite. Wish it would light up on command (not all the time, that would bug the hell out of me).

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
How about "best infrared cordless mouse".

The reason I ask is that I'll be a good 50-65 ft away from my computer and will be using an ir repeater system. Can anyone offer suggestions for this?

Russ

P.S. don't mean to hijack the thread, I just don't want to add another "wireless mouse" thread.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
How about "best infrared cordless mouse".

The reason I ask is that I'll be a good 50-65 ft away from my computer and will be using an ir repeater system. Can anyone offer suggestions for this?

Russ

P.S. don't mean to hijack the thread, I just don't want to add another "wireless mouse" thread.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.