AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IT was recommended I post here as well as under "HDTV Technical" - so here it is, any help is appreciated....

I am considering a Mitsubishi WD-65638 or WD-65C10 as an upgrade to my old Toshiba 1080i TW65H, which is still good, but has some slight 4:3 burn-in.

When I watch sports on Cable I see a lot of shimmering with the movement - I suppose a limitation of 1080i. Would the DLP upconvert 1080i broadcast to 1080p and get a better picture for motion? Would overall picture be better on the new set - blacks, contrast, etc?

Is DLP overall inferior to LCD/Plasma? Size doesn't bother me - after dealing with the huge Toshiba, the DLP will look dainty. And I am thinking 3D will be nice for occasional use, but it is not a real selling point for me now.

Price seem tio be no comparison right now - DLP is definitely the lowest, I am just not sure of the disadvantages.

Thanks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Rear Projector DLP is great as long as you understand why it was developed. It was designed to be viewed straight on the same way you would in a movie theater. The picture quality on the Mitsubishi 73638, 65638, and 60638 I have seen looked great from all good quality ATSC sources. 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i are very good. 1080p from BluRay is outstanding. As long as you are seated between the left and right edges of the screen and you are seated so your eyes are looking at the midpoint vertically, you get a great view. As you get off axis from this optimal viewing position, the view quality goes down. If you are viewing at less than 45 degrees from the centerline the picture quality is good even at say 16 feet. Go beyond 45 degrees and the view gets darker. Go beyond 60 degrees and you probably cannot see anything the image is so dark. Good quality images on quality plasmas and LCDs can be seen at 75 degrees off the center line. The shimmering you see may not go away with a LCD. I observed similar sized plasmas and LCDs side by sides showing the same scenes. The top quality Pioneer plasmas had the least amount of shimmer. The Pioneer plasmas overall did better with difficult 480i and 1080i feeds than did the LCDs, in my view. But you had best be careful with room lighting to avoid plasma screen reflections. I say black levels are probably best on plasmas.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I would think you would like the DLP over you current HDTV. I did back when my main display was a DLP. Th problem with DLP is you can get hot spotting, where the bulb is brighter towards the middle of the screen and gets dimmer towards the edges. You could also have rainbow effect issues, but I think this is much better than they used to as the color wheel speed has been increased a ton.

That being said, a modern flat screen will out perform a DLP by a good margin. I currently have a plasma and absolutely love it. Major upgrade over my older DLP. The problem is pricing. If you don't want to spend $1500-$2000 on a 65" Plasma, you really have no other options besides DLP. I would also look into bulb replacement. I would think it would be around $100, but could be more. I have a Samsung DLP so I have no idea how much a Mitsu bulb would cost. I can't imagine it would be much more than $100.

One potential downside to DLP is they shouldn't be turned on an off a whole lot. Once the TV has been turned off it really should remain off for about an hour (so the bulb completely cools down). I was extremely careful with how I used my DLP and if I was running out to the store for a half hour I would just leave it turned on. By watching how I used it I was able to get 9,000 hours out of my first bulb and it is still going strong. Amazingly the light output is still very good. I installed a backup bulb to see where it was pretty close to new. I had to turn down the back light brightness a few notches. I know a few people who didn't watch how they used it, and they would go through a bulb about once a year and under 2000 hours per bulb. If you go through bulbs like that you may be better spending more money up front. The others I know have kids and that is the main reason for short bulb life (no control over how they use it).

None of the current technologies are perfect. All of them have some compromise an owner must make. DLP is definitely great with motion and sports. If money isn't a huge factor I would go with a flat panel. If it is you should be happier with a DLP than your CRT RP.

·
Registered
782 Posts
"modern flat screen will out perform a DLP by a good margin"

See I just have to disagree with that, there are a few but I stress few that will beat out a DLP for picture quality to me.

I have yet to see a LCD that I like the picture better, motion blur drives me nuts and though the newer 240hz are better, it is still there - could be my eyes though.

A Pioneer Kuro is one of the few that I preferred the picture over, it is a plasma though.

The problem is finding a store with all of the displays in to see which you prefer.

I just bought a 32" LCD for the bedroom and while the picture is clear, it appears flat to me compared to my DLP in the tv room. Again just my preferences, others will be something else.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the great info - I hadn't realized that the viewing angle was so limited. Still, I think it will work for me I will mostly sit about 7-8 feet away and can adjust the height appropriately. So it sounds like I will get better motion capabilities with DLP, that is good!

Money is definitely an object, I would just stick with my RPTV if I have to spend over $1400-1500.

Thanks!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am finding it hard to research for current DLP information - though I find a lot of old stuff. Is it true that DLP will provide a better high motion picture? Even on a good blu-ray I see some artifacts on my 1080i Tosh. But it actually looks worse when I watch a football game. Also, I see some terrible artifacts on the showroom examples of both Plasmas and LCDs. The local BB doesn't carry DLPs, so I really can't compare.

Is Texas Instrument's DLP facts accurate when they say--- "Ideal for fast action

The ultra-fast DLP chip has an unparalleled 16 microsecond pixel response time. Projectors and HDTVs powered by DLP chip deliver a precise, razor-sharp picture, making it ideal for sports, action-packed or fast-moving scenes and gaming."

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asunc
I am finding it hard to research for current DLP information - though I find a lot of old stuff. Is it true that DLP will provide a better high motion picture? Even on a good blu-ray I see some artifacts on my 1080i Tosh. But it actually looks worse when I watch a football game. Also, I see some terrible artifacts on the showroom examples of both Plasmas and LCDs. The local BB doesn't carry DLPs, so I really can't compare.

Is Texas Instrument's DLP facts accurate when they say--- "Ideal for fast action

The ultra-fast DLP chip has an unparalleled 16 microsecond pixel response time. Projectors and HDTVs powered by DLP chip deliver a precise, razor-sharp picture, making it ideal for sports, action-packed or fast-moving scenes and gaming."
Football game artifacts are more than likely 99% the fault of the channel and provider, those will not go away. Not sure what artifacts you see with Blu-Ray, unless you are talking 24p induced judder, which again is part of the source.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy
Football game artifacts are more than likely 99% the fault of the channel and provider, those will not go away. Not sure what artifacts you see with Blu-Ray, unless you are talking 24p induced judder, which again is part of the source.

THanks, ah, 24p judder - I looked it up and I think you are right. So I may just be dealing with the limitations inherent in the various source materials!

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asunc
THanks, ah, 24p judder - I looked it up and I think you are right. So I may just be dealing with the limitations inherent in the various source materials!

Thanks!
LCD's have frame interpolation on 120hz models that perform some "magic" to try and fix this, but many people don't like the effect. So you'll have to see for yourself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm in the same boat with a 57-inch Toshiba CRT that's too old to have DVI or HDMI inputs, and I was looking at the 60-inch Mitsu. I've got a fairly narrow room, so the viewing angles wouldn't be a big problem, but I'm wondering: is the lower cost for a bigger screen worth dealing with the viewing angle issue?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I just went to BB to take a look. The set looks great on the HD loop - motion doesn't look any better than the LCD beside it.

The salesman tried to get it to display 3d, but it never worked ( the blu-ray was wack some how). I did check out a Sony 3d of a OSU USC game - very impressive! But I started feeling a little sick after a few minutes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts