AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Best Buy yesterday and I saw a HDTV Startup kist that cost $94. What the Kit gives you is a lease program with Direct TV. You get 1 top of the line HDTV reciever and up to 3 regular recivers for $10/month fee. Then you just have to commint to regular Direct TV programing with one of the HD packages for 1 year.

Seems like a decent deal but after 1 year your basically out $220 between the startup fee and lease fees.

The cable company rents out HDTV boxes for like $7/month plus programing, but the programing costs a bit more.

Has anyone tried this program? Any opinions on it?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I briefly discussed this option with a Directv CSR and really don't know much about it. From what you posted I can tell you this, compared to cable $10/month for 4 receivers one of which is HD is a great deal for leasing. Comcast in my area includes the first box unless it's HD then you pay $5 per box. If you have more than one HD is $10 for the second HD box. Looking at that it looks to be a pretty good deal to me.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The starter package was only available in certain markets, cant rember off the top of my head. Suprisingly my market(Milwaukee, WI) is were one of them is available

·
Registered
786 Posts
We have this deal in Tampa, Florida and from what I heard is that you can't buy any boxes you can only rent from them. You don't get online access to your account so you can't add or change programming or order PPV online. You also can't get a DirecTV DVR because they don't lease it and like I said you can't buy any hardware because you account is a leased account. There is no clear answer as to whether you will be able to lease the future HD Tivo box and again you can't buy this box either. It is not a good deal at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.