AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Opinions on dual front L/R speakers @ 4ohms Parallel...Paradigm/ Emotiva PICS

So I just hooked up 2 pairs of Paradigm Studio speakers(100v2's & 40 v4's) to my Emotiva XPA-2 wired in parallel presenting a 4 ohm load to the amp, in which it is rated to produce 350 watts rms per channel....I know this shouldn't be a problem for the amp at all and the crossover is set to 80Hz for all speakers. Are there any negatives to doing this in a 7.1 channel HT set up that's used for music and movies? The other 5 speakers are powered by an XPA-5 and a Paradigm Studio 15 handles the lows. I'm currently using an Onkyo TX-SR876 receiver as a pre/pro but an Integra DHC 9.9 processor is on it's way. Anyone else have a similar configuration? Any input appreciated :)

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why are you doing this, to make it louder or ?
Yea pretty much, and I love the way the studio 40's look beside my Studio 100's...I have no other use for the 40's so I figured I'd use them as a second set of fronts.

·
Registered
15,940 Posts
Generally for the best, most focused imaging and general tonal balance each audio channel should radiate into the room from only one location, not two or more. Two different locations, like when using two distinct loudspeakers, generates comb filtering problems and a more diffuse sound. Of course some dig a more diffuse sound and you should do whatever sounds best to you.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
The only way it sort of works is to stack them vertically, which will place the comb filtering effects dominantly in the vertical plane, which is less of a problem, but certainly still very much there.

I'd still cast probably my vote against the idea, though it would be fun to experiment a bit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts