AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently decided to get rid of my VCR and 200 disc Sony DVD player (too bulky) and replace it with a tivo type dvd recorder or hdd.

The reason I don't think I can go with tivo or replay tv is that I don't have a home phone. (only use a cell and not having a monthly fee sounds nice as well)

What is the most cost effective unit that has the following:

- progressive scan dvd

- records a show and has the ability to watch another

- commercial skip would be nice (but not necessary)

- chase play (again not necessary)

I'm basically just looking for a quality dvd player that also has the Tivo type functions.

I've seen a lot about the Toshiba XS32 and Pioneer E85, but am wondering if there's anything cheaper since I won't utilize a lot of the extras available with these two units.

Thanks for any help!

Stiltz

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Quote:
The reason I don't think I can go with tivo or replay tv is that I don't have a home phone. (only use a cell and not having a monthly fee sounds nice as well)
Do you have an Internet connection? Tivos and ReplayTVs can use that instead.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Quote:
- records a show and has the ability to watch another
This would require two tuners. All the DVD recorders sold in the U.S. only have one tuner, so you can record or watch one channel, but you can't record one channel while watching another -- at least, not through the DVD recorder. You can always split the cable and run one feed to the DVD recorder and one to the TV, but obviously that doesn't help you for digital cable.

Quote:
- commercial skip would be nice (but not necessary)
There aren't any DVD writers with automatic commercial skip. ReplayTV had this feature on their older DVRs, but it's not on their newer models -- you can thank Hollywood lawsuits for that. DVRs like ReplayTV and Tivo still have dedicated buttons on the remote for 30-sec commercial skip. Some DVD writers do too, and those that don't still have fast forward.

Tivo also has auto-skipback on its 20x and 60x fast forward, which makes it very easy to bypass commercials. You FF through the commercials at 60x, press play (or FF a fourth time) as soon as you see the program start, and it skips back a little so you catch the last second or two of commercials without missing any of the program after the commercial break. Tivo thus reduces commercial viewing time from ~20 minutes per hour to ~20 seconds per hour, without ever having to rewind or instant replay to catch the content after the commercial break.

Quote:
chase play (again not necessary)
Virtually DVR sold for the past 4-5 years has this feature, and most DVD recorders with hard drives now have this capability too.

Quote:
I've seen a lot about the Toshiba XS32 and Pioneer E85
Either of these would probably be a good choice. But keep in mind that DVD playback of these DVD recorders doesn't approach the picture quality of some standalone DVD players like the RP82.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info...Yeah I'm not expecting any output like that of a Faruja (sp?) chip!

Any experience with the Panasonic E55S?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.