AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to move into a new apartment, and I need a 2 channel stereo system. This will be my first, so I'm searching for best bang for the buck. Source of my music will be iPod/turntable

Focus is audio, as I don't have a television. Budget is strictly entry-level. I'm building around pioneer fs51's and c21, which were gifts.

1) looking at amps, what do you think of pairing my pioneers with:

-Yamaha A-S500 ~$300

-Harman Kardon HK 3490 ~$300

-Marantz PM6004 ~$450

2) if none of the above , what works? fs51's= 130W, 87db sensitivity, and 6 Ohms

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Any of the above works. "Pairing" an amp to your speakers is a trivial exercise. Any two-channel receiver will be fine.

Before you settle on an amp or receiver, however, maybe we should talk about turntable and overall budget. You might be better off spending less on a receiver, and leave more for the table.

Also, what were you planning to do with the C21?

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
fwiw,if your looking for the "best bang" for your buck on a budget for" 2 " (don't know what your plans for the center channel are) channel system that can handle your devices i would look no farther than a lepai tripath amp for $25 and a art dj pre phono amp $48 at parts express. great sound and will push your pioneer speakers and plenty loud enough for an apartment. if your looking to use the center channel and maybe a sub later on i would look into a mid price avr something like a denon avr 1612 refurb $170 with free ipod dock from accessories4less and the art dj pre phono amp just my 2 cents

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus  /t/1419171/opinions-on-first-system#post_22198612

Any of the above works. "Pairing" an amp to your speakers is a trivial exercise. Any two-channel receiver will be fine.

Before you settle on an amp or receiver, however, maybe we should talk about turntable and overall budget. You might be better off spending less on a receiver, and leave more for the table.

Also, what were you planning to do with the C21?

Between a turntable and amp my absolute max is $650. What are some TT options? Also, is a subwoofer worth it?

My favorite uncle shipped me the pioneers as a graduation present. I'd like to hold on to the C21 for when he visits- Would it be considered unnecessary in my set-up? Sorry if it's a stupid question- I'm an audio newb....

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
The HK and the Yamaha both would be good buys and do include phono inputs w/will save you money. I would check out the Project Debut III at Music Direct. A nice TT that comes w/an Ortofon cart installed. Just plug and play. And just below your budget.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Pro-Ject is phasing out its Debut III turntable, so it can be had right now for about $300. Typical entry-level turntables of its type run $400-450, so I would grab that deal while you can. That leaves plenty of money for the amp/receiver.

Given that your sources are 2-channel (iPod, turntable), the center channel speaker is completely useless to you. You can't even hook it up to a 2-channel amp, and if you had a multichannel receiver it wouldn't play anything. So stick it in a closet and explain to your uncle that you'll hook it up when you get a TV and DVD/Blu-Ray player.

Assuming you will get a TV at some point, however, you may want to consider a multichannel receiver (aka AVR) rather than a 2-channel amp/receiver, so that you'll be able to use that center channel when the time comes. Alternatively, go cheap on a 2-channel now, with the expectation that you'll be replacing it not too far down the line. Two less expensive but good models are the Sherwood 4109 and the Onkyo 8255.

Given that you have tower speakers, I would hold off on the sub. A decent one will chew up too much of your budget.

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
+1 for the pro-ject debut III and the onkyo 8255 would be good buy for the price( have come down in price conciderably since the last time i looked at them )

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
By the way don't forget to purchase some record cleaning supplies. A carbon fibre brush and some liquid cleaner. And Magic Eraser for your cart. (you can get that at the Supermarket).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all your input!

I decided on the pro-ject debut III and the HK3490. $600 flat

I'm curious though, besides the tonearm and color option, what's the difference between the new pro-ject carbon and the III?

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
better cartridge ortofon 2m red

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
better cartridge ortofon 2m red
Though we should add that the Debut comes with a decent cartridge itself. Given the OP's budget, I think he did very well.

·
Registered
487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by endtr0ducing  /t/1419171/opinions-on-first-system#post_22200666

thanks for all your input!

I decided on the pro-ject debut III and the HK3490. $600 flat

I'm curious though, besides the tonearm and color option, what's the difference between the new pro-ject carbon and the III?

Besides the new carbon fiber tonearm (hence the name - Debut Carbon), and 2M Red cartridge, other differences are:

New Sorbothane motor suspension for decreased motor vibration, full 12" heavier platter, and RCA jacks for your choice in cable instead of leads and ground being hardwired. Hope this helps. Good luck in your decisions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts