AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

there are a lot of different options when it comes down to ending a session on your htpc, by that i mean getting of your sofa, and doing something else..

a few people I've spoken to shut down there HTPC entirely, and have bought an expensive HTPC case that supports booting the HTPC from IR remote.. 

Others either put it in standby mode, or turn it off and simply walk up to the PC and press the power button. 

Then there are people that just leave the HTPC on all the time...  (assuming you leave it in s1 power state..)

Surly this cannot be good for power consumption, hard drive spinning time (then again you could just turn them off...), and noise from your media setup.. unless you've spent a stupid amount of water cooling,  noctua PC fans etc...

so what do people think? do you have a way i haven't mentioned? 

maybe a mod to windows to increase the efficiency of s1 power state...???

Thankyou for any replies!!! :)

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
My HTPC goes into sleep mode when not being used & wakes up quickly when called upon. I used a Kill-A-Watt meter & the HTPC uses 2W of power in sleep mode. If I turn it off using the power button on the PC itself it still uses 1W. There is only 1W difference between Off and Sleep. FWIW my desktop behaves the same.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99  /t/1523139/opinions-on-htpc-power-states#post_24498829

My HTPC goes into sleep mode when not being used & wakes up quickly when called upon. I used a Kill-A-Watt meter & the HTPC uses 2W of power in sleep mode. If I turn it off using the power button on the PC itself it still uses 1W. There is only 1W difference between Off and Sleep. FWIW my desktop behaves the same.
ohh thats good!! have any idea what it's consumption is like in s1 state?

·
Registered
7 Posts

If you put your htpc in sleep and it supports pvr/dvr does it automatically wake up and record then shut off once recording has finished?

·
Registered
773 Posts
I think a lot of people only put their HTPC to sleep instead of powering off entirely because they want to be able to control it through their remote and that's all most HTPCs will allow you to do unless you rig up a simerec or something. As for what is optimal though I think it depends a lot on the power consumption of your HTPC while idling in S1 vs. S3 or S5. I put mine to sleep but I've never been able to get my Harmony remote to reliably wake it so I'm starting to think about just leaving it in S1 so I don't have to get up and press the power button every time I want to use it. But my HTPC is a Celeron NUC with a 17w max TDP. If it was some full size ATX rig with a beefier processor, graphics card, hard drives, etc. I wouldn't even consider leaving it on all the time. So it really just depends on your setup. That said, if I had a case and board that allowed me to reliably power on and off entirely from a remote then I would probably do that no matter how low power my HTPC was. Basically my priorities are:

1) ease and reliablity of full control via remote

2) not wasting power

Boot times I don't really care about because I'm running openelec and if I ever switch to Windows I would run it off an SSD so either way boot times would be fast enough for me.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb12356  /t/1523139/opinions-on-htpc-power-states/0_100#post_24498874

Mine was similar, except sleep was 0W and off was 2W. If I reached behind the case and turned the PSU switch "off" then the S5 state would use 0W (course I'd never do this) so really "shutdown" ended up using more power than sleep

My server uses less than 70W, and just the HTPC (openelec) used about 28W idle / 33 W 1080p playback

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mine is a server/htpc that serves content to my extenders all over the house and so I never shut it down. Don't forget that turning devices on and off is very stressful to sensitive electronic equipment. Those electrons are moving at near the speed of light when they start hitting your components. So I find the handful of dollars you'll save like maybe $50 for a year or so just isn't worth it at least for me.

-RobNY

·
Registered
15,281 Posts
Although sleep/wake is 100% reliable for me (from remotes, extenders and recording schedules), here's an issue I've always wanted to fix. If I'm in the middle of a recording, and someone sends an MCE discrete off from the remote or picks sleep from within windows, the PC immediately goes to sleep. I'd like to either have it ignore those commands while recording or at least pop up a confirm window. Any ideas?

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
If I hit sleep button on my keyboard while it is recording, my PC won't going to sleep at all but only turn off the screen. There is, however, a behavior change in Win7 after SP1. Before that, the PC won't going to sleep when I have extenders connected as well by turning on away mode. But after SP1, it will force the PC to sleep as long as there is no recording.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
In the past I've had problems with front ends hanging after waking from sleep. Ever had a program hang after extended use and had to force stop or restart your computer? Although, I've mostly used XBMC and Plex over the years, and these issues may not even be a problem anymore.

The other issue I had was Windows just randomly waking from sleep when I didn't want it to. There are ways to find out what programs or doing it, but I just got fed up and decided I wanted to shut off the computer completely. I also don't have to worry about wasting any electricity (although I'm probably only saving a little). I also have to have discrete on and off, which from what I remember I had difficulty accomplishing with sleep vs. on/off. As others have pointed out, on/off wouldn't work if you use your HTPC as a DVR or use it with WMC extenders. I just use Plex Home Theater though on my HTPCs.

You don't have to spend a lot of money or buy an entirely new case to do it either. This is one of several solutions: http://store.antec.com/Product/accessory-veris_media/veris-basic/0-761345-30124-4.aspx . Another one of my HTPCs has an ASrock mobo with a CIR header, which also allows for discrete on/off.

FYI, I use SSDs on my HTPCs as well as Instant Sheller, and they boot up in 15-20s.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb12356  /t/1523139/opinions-on-htpc-power-states#post_24498874

I have no idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeggernaut  /t/1523139/opinions-on-htpc-power-states#post_24499456

If you put your htpc in sleep and it supports pvr/dvr does it automatically wake up and record then shut off once recording has finished?
Yes. I wakes up, records, then goes back to sleep.

·
Registered
15,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121  /t/1523139/opinions-on-htpc-power-states/0_100#post_24499826

If I hit sleep button on my keyboard while it is recording, my PC won't going to sleep at all but only turn off the screen. There is, however, a behavior change in Win7 after SP1. Before that, the PC won't going to sleep when I have extenders connected as well by turning on away mode. But after SP1, it will force the PC to sleep as long as there is no recording.
Thanks. Away mode did the trick. I always avoided it before because I thought it prevented sleep altogether. Now it works just like I want.

·
Registered
668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1523139/opinions-on-htpc-power-states#post_24499813

Although sleep/wake is 100% reliable for me (from remotes, extenders and recording schedules), here's an issue I've always wanted to fix. If I'm in the middle of a recording, and someone sends an MCE discrete off from the remote or picks sleep from within windows, the PC immediately goes to sleep. I'd like to either have it ignore those commands while recording or at least pop up a confirm window. Any ideas?

It part of the power mode advanced settings. Ist set it to do nothing when the sleep button is pressed, this will only impact putting it to sleep not waking it up. I have mine set to auto sleep after 15 min.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb12356  /t/1523139/opinions-on-htpc-power-states#post_24498747

Then there are people that just leave the HTPC on all the time...  (assuming you leave it in s1 power state..)

Surly this cannot be good for power consumption, hard drive spinning time (then again you could just turn them off...), and noise from your media setup.. unless you've spent a stupid amount of water cooling,  noctua PC fans etc...

I leave both HTPCs on (s1) 24/7.

Power:

Considering the low power usage it is just not worth any trouble to use standby. Power consumption while idle is

Noise:

In the mini-itx box the only fan is the CPU fan, it spins very slowly and cannot be heard from more than a foot or two away. The mATX system has a CPU fan and PSU fan, they are very quiet and spin very slowly. These core i3 CPUs just do not generate much heat while doing HTPC duty.

Disks:

Both PCs have OS on an SSD, recorded TV is on a spinning disk. Windows will tell the disk to shutdown when not in use so that is really not an issue.

·
Registered
15,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1523139/opinions-on-htpc-power-states/0_100#post_24502029

Thanks. Away mode did the trick. I always avoided it before because I thought it prevented sleep altogether. Now it works just like I want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ams123  /t/1523139/opinions-on-htpc-power-states/0_100#post_24510777

It part of the power mode advanced settings. Ist set it to do nothing when the sleep button is pressed, this will only impact putting it to sleep not waking it up. I have mine set to auto sleep after 15 min.
Well, I went and replaced my video card and now have a new problem. Away Mode also mutes the sound (by design). Problem is, my new video card only un-mutes on its own about half the time. I'm stuck with the current video drivers because earlier and later versions cause major problems when resuming (like some hardware not even showing up at all). So doesn't anyone know how to defeat this mute/un-mute behavior? For now I've just gone back to not using Away Mode at all.

EDIT: I did a little more digging and found a couple of workarounds:

- Use Windows HDMI audio drivers instead of AMD

- Turn off Away Mode

- Run a script on resume to un-mute

I'm sticking with the second option for now. I've been running that way for a couple of years anyway. Away Mode has just turned out to be more trouble than it's worth.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts