AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shopping for a 65" inch projection tv for the last month or so. I've been to all of my local retailers good guys, circuit city, best buy and Video only.

The tv that i personally think looks the best is the JVC at video only. Model number: AV-65WP74. Of course me not just buying and being a web junkie did some research and discovered that JVC also makes a AV-65WP84 and AV-65WP94. Is there really anything that justifies spending a little more on the 84 or the 94?? I can get the AV-65WP94 from Pac-2000.com although i'm not sure i trust them, since i've never heard of them before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.

Dp19

·
Registered
474 Posts
i can't give you any advice, but i'll caution you to consider what buying a tv this large mail-order can entail.

if the tv arrives in perfect order and then you'll be fine.

however if for some reason you need to return it, well it's going to be some work.

reasons why you might return it other then it not working.

--tv looks different in your house

--tv is too big/small

--you change your mind

If you buy locally and have it delivered, they'll come get it and replace it if you want a new one. they'll also exchange for a different one.

don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to talk you out per se, i want you to understand a tv that large weighs around 200lbs and is relatively fragile for something that big. you might not want to deal with returning or exchanging it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have sold approx 200+ Jvc's and about the same in Mitsubishi in the last 1 and a half. Jvc has a better scaler than mits, and the sd signal from a Dish or Direct looks very clean on the Jvc. It takes the 480I up converts to 1440I (720P) then drops it back down to 1080I. Down side, I think Mits has a better mirror, better guns and projectors. Jvc uses the f series Hitachi projectors and a lot of other Hitachi software inside the television. Now if they used a front reflective mirror.... but in a nutshell sitting next to Toshiba, Hitachi, Mitsubishi they more than hold their own. I have had very few problems out of these sets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have also been shopping for a 64'' RPTV and the jvc AV-65WP74 looks pretty good, but i would like to know what are the difference between the AV-65WP74, AV-65WP84, and the AV-65WP94. i cannot tell from the specs they list on their website. if anyone has seen all 3, i would like to know if their is a difference in image quality?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I just finished talking to a rep from JVC as I am also intrested in the AV-65WP74. The differnce between this model and the 84, is that the 84 has wider nect crt (dont know what that means) and can do 1500 lines. i asked the rep of the benifts of these features she just said its better picture. Very vague, dont know what to say. But from 84 to 94 is that 94 has firewire connection.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The AV-65WP74 is the standard 1080i HD RPTV. The 84 adds Hammerhead wideneck CRTs. (larger aperature guns) Plus the ability to upscale every signal to 1500i. DIST... The 94 adds a built in ATSC tuner as well as a firewire (IEEE 1394) output for HD recording to a DVHS deck or similar device plus a different anti reflective screen shield.

If you can swing it, go with a 94.

·
Registered
215 Posts
yea that is just about the differnce, the 94 and 84 same thing only built in tuner. I opted out buying JVC (my favorite tube tv company) to wait for the new Toshiba H84 models. I gota real good deal on both the JVC since its closeout now, actually suprised to hear they were released in late 2003,and stoped a fewmonths back (explains the real good price) plus their new lines dont have any 65 incch model. So now with my killer deal on the 65H84 and JVC in only about 180 dollars. that is why i am holding off.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You are correct. The newly redesigned 2004 model JVC RPTVs are not available in 65". Only 48" and 56". They are much nicer looking, however. At this point, I would rather go for their 52" HD DILA model HD-52Z575 incorporating DILA technology. Much better than CRT based RPTV. I have seen these TVs and they are quite amazing. They had one on display next to a Sony Grand Wega 60" LCD... Blew it away.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Im sure DILA and DLP have a great future ahead of them, but I rather pay 1700 and get a Toshiba 65H84 rather than 3000 for a 50 inch JVC DILA. For right now atleast. I will use my 65H84 for about 4-5 years then see whats on the market and go from there. Plus this is my first big screen, so im sure ill be happy either way. (been using 27 inch for the last 14 years)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.