AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am new to this forum within the last month but have greatly enjoyed the wealth of knowledge available within.

I recently started piecing together my home theater setup. I have a Denon AVR-1609 that started it all. A few weeks ago I found a local deal on some Infinity IL50 towers. I like the sound of these but want something more musical for my front 3 speakers. I will move the IL50s to surround duty once I get a set of towers and a center.

I was hot on the trail of the Acculine series until I realized running 4 ohm speakers on my 6 ohm stable receiver might not be the best idea in the long run. Now the KEF IQ line is looking very tempting but a few things I have read concern me. Mind you I am stuck in central Wisconsin with no decent audio dealers around to audition any good brands myself or I would just go out and listen to these.

I have read several comments where people said that KEF's were not the greatest speakers for 'rocking out' or listening to more intense music. My listening consists of 40% music, 40% directv or movies and 20% xbox360. The musical performance of the speakers is by far the most important aspect to me. I listen primarily to metal and hard rock so I need speakers with very good midrange capabilities. I also like to utilize my amp/speakers potential on a semi-regular basis.

Sorry for the long post but I have been to every ID company's website I can find, looked at every B&M brand I can and am looking for a little advice at this point. I need to keep the budget as small as possible which sucks but is a fact of life at this point for me. I also am set on towers for the front speakers... no bookshelf speakers on stands for me.

Thanks so much in advance for any advice you can offer me!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think that line is discontinued...shop around they are selling for about 50% MSRP

Never heard them so I cant help you out on that end.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I have iQ1 fronts and iQ2 centre and I really like them. I'll play a little Zeppelin and Uriah Heep later today and let you know what I think (my use is 98% movies/TV 2% music).

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Yea they're cheap discounted but how are the new models that replaced the old ones? Are they much better? If so why not just get the new ones with waveguided tweeters?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I have iQ5's and iQ7's. Neither of them are worth a lick as stereo speakers. I use them for surround duties crossed at 55 hz. They are fine in that role. Otherwise they are thin sounding with mushy bass. Go to another brand entirely is my recommendation. I bought them on the outgoing sale for cheap as I wanted full range surrounds instead of small bookshelves.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have heard the KEF iQ9 and loved the sound. There are very few speakers I have heard that are better. But I have not seen KEF around much within US. I did a lot of search for information/reviews, and found very little on US websites, but a lot on European websites.

Here's the review from Stereophile Magazine. iQ9 was awarded Stereophile Magazine Editor's Choice Award in 2006.

' www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/206kef/ '

Year Award

2006 Editor's Choice Award, by Stereophile (USA)

2006 Hi-Fi Grand Prix Awards by Audio Video International (USA)

2006 Visual Grand Prix, by AV Review (Japan)

IMHO, the iQ9 are awesome speakers

Make sure to buy them only from authorized dealers (not someone like audioliquidators.com etc.)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yeah, I auditioned the IQ9's. Decent sound but very thin sounding.

I'd set the IQ7's closer to 80 hz to the prior poster.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I also auditioned the IQ9's when I was deciding what speakers to go with. I ended up going with the Ascend Sierra 1s and a Hsu sub. Here were my impressions when demoing various speakers and the IQ9 in particular.

I was demo'ing with various music CDs, including jazz, classical, hip hop and house music. The IQ9's didn't have the tightness or control that I like when listening to music. The "punch" was missing.

"I also made it to a local KEF dealer to demo the IQ9s. Unfortunately, I demo'd the IQ9s side-by-side with a pair of Polk RTi A-9s. The Polk speakers seemed to play a lot brighter with more life. While playing them back and forth during the same song, the IQ9s seemed a bit dull and struggled a bit with midbass such as a bass guitar line or a kick drum (I would describe the sound when listening up close as a bit "boomy"), whereas the Polk seemed "brighter" and handled the midbass with a bit more tightness and control."

You should definitely try to find someone/somewhere to hear them in your area. You might find that they are your taste and the deals going for them right now are pretty incredible.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dal1as /forum/post/15571289

I'd set the IQ7's closer to 80 hz to the prior poster.

Mark Seaton calibrated my system and I trust his expertise.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The iQs definitely have a unique sound with the UniQ drivers. If you are a bass fiend, you will need to look elsewhere or add a sub for sure. I don't think anyone praises them for their bass output, but it is enough to satisfy myself. I'd rather have detail over bass. You can always add a sub, but you can't make up for the lack of detail.

One important thing to note about these KEF iQs, is that they are very punishing speaker(or unforgiving). They are definitely dependent on the quality of the recording that is feeding them. If you send a HQ recording to them, they will shine like the sun. If you send an less than optimal recording to them, you will know it. I wouldn't say this is the speakers fault, it is just doing what it is told to do. Remember the devil is in the details, and the IQs will read the fine print!

I have had 2 pairs of iQ3s for awhile and could not resist these close out prices at Vanns so I just ordered a pair of iQ7s and iQ1s for a second system.

I am no expert(by any means), but here are some of my thoughts. I bought a few pairs of bookshelves from different makers before I decided on towers.

I have the:

KEF iQ3s

Monitor Audio RS1s

AV123 x-ls encores

BIC America DV-62s

I preferred the sound of the KEFs because of the detail and soundstage. They are front ported and easy to place in a room. The RS1s are also great speakers, but I guess I'm partial to the KEFs. I have moved the RS1s to the bedroom and they are superb in there. They are a little warmer than the KEFs, but the bass can get a little boomy. Pretty good detail, but not like the UniQ. The x-ls's are matched with the x-cs for a Home Theater set-up.

So, FWIW, the KEFs are not for everyone, BUT, if you one of the lucky ones who appreciate the UniQ sound, then, at these prices it is cheaper to buy them that to steal them!!!

·
Registered
177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAD /forum/post/15578320

Mark Seaton calibrated my system and I trust his expertise.

Just trying to help. Guessing they are about -3 db down around 70 hz at reference levels and figured their would be a huge frequency hole.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advice and insight.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Acculine speakers.

I am pretty sure my Denon will be able to push them just fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts