AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here own or have an opinion on Klipsch's XW-500d. The reason I am considering it is because of it compact size and I can get one at BB for $599.00. I would appreciate any feedback and alternative sub suggestions for this pricepoint. Thanks-

John

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I've never heard it, but it seems like a decent sub based on the specs....but I'd shop around a little on line personally, there are many subs close to that price from some reputable ID dealers (Epik, eD, HSU, SVS) that in all likelyhood would outperform that sub.

For starters

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks croseiv- yeah, I've lusted over the Vanquish and SVS's SB12-Plus is very appealing but I thought I'd be close to $750 or more after shipping and tax (if any). Do you happen to know what HSU and eD use for their cone material?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolly /forum/post/16929252

Thanks croseiv- yeah, I've lusted over the Vanquish and SVS's SB12-Plus is very appealing but I thought I'd be close to $750 or more after shipping and tax (if any). Do you happen to know what HSU and eD use for their cone material?

I'm not certain what those guys use as woofer material, but it appears to be pretty strong what ever it is. Yeah, I guess shipping may push the Vanquish out of range...If it's what you want, I recommend saving up for it...you'll wish you had later on.

·
Registered
721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolly /forum/post/16929252

I wouldnt worry a bit about what material the cone is made out of, that stuff is almost 100% marketing in terms of importance.

Now, i personally own an eD A2-300, i demo'd a Klipsch RW-12d subwoofer, in a nearly identical setup to mine (RF-82's instead of 62's) which is roughly equivalent to that xw-500d, and it couldn't hold a stick in sound quality, or output, to the eD.

The higher end klipsch subs arent bad subs, but you get SO much more for your money with an internet direct sub.

If your budget is $550, you could pick up:

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=102

For something more compact:

SVS PB12-NSD
http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-pb12nsd.cfm

(btw the SVS uses an aluminum cone, if you're interested)

HSU VTF2-MK3:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk3.html

Any of those subs i listed will severely outclass that Klipsch. And keep in mind i say this as an owner of Klipsch speakers which i LOVE.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Those ID subs, like the HSU and SVS, are ported. I thought the sealed sub's were generally higher quality (music appropriate) while the ported sub's were quantitatively oriented (more oomph for movie effects but less tight and with more latency, making them less good for music). Further, from what I've listened too, this seems to be true. The Klipsch XW-300d was one of the best units in my local Magnolia room and I tried them all -- and this is both a higher end Klipsch sub and a sealed unit. Is there a similar compact (small to medium room) sub from HSU or SVS that's sealed and that you'd think might equal or exceed the HSU XW-300d? Unless you know an owner, its hard to hear one of the ID units without buying one which is a chore even if they have a trial period and these heavy ol' things aren't cheap to ship. I'm somewhat skeptical that chat room reputation here might be more in play than actual listening experience, so I'm particularly interested in anyone who has the same, or has done some critical listening.

·
Registered
8,479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarti03 /forum/post/16934952

Those ID subs, like the HSU and SVS, are ported. I thought the sealed sub's were generally higher quality (music appropriate) while the ported sub's were quantitatively oriented (more oomph for movie effects but less tight and with more latency, making them less good for music). Further, from what I've listened too, this seems to be true. The Klipsch XW-300d was one of the best units in my local Magnolia room and I tried them all -- and this is both a higher end Klipsch sub and a sealed unit. Is there a similar compact (small to medium room) sub from HSU or SVS that's sealed and that you'd think might equal or exceed the HSU XW-300d? Unless you know an owner, its hard to hear one of the ID units without buying one which is a chore even if they have a trial period and these heavy ol' things aren't cheap to ship. I'm somewhat skeptical that chat room reputation here might be more in play than actual listening experience, so I'm particularly interested in anyone who has the same, or has done some critical listening.

There are some extremely fine ported subs. HSU in particular has a good reputation for ported sub sound quality.

One frequent poster recently switched from dual HSU 3.3's to a pair of Ed A7S-450. His only complaint is that the HSU has higher sound quality. His user name is BSOKO.

·
Registered
721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarti03 /forum/post/16934952

Well, i too listened to several subs in a local magnolia, including the RW-12d and the XW-300d, and i can say with 100% certainty that i would take my eD ported sub over either of those subs, any day. That being said, the HSU and SVS are both known for having better SQ than the eD subs, though you pay a bit more for it as well as better fit and finish.

If he, or you, are really interested in a sealed sub, you would want to look at Epik:

http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/sealedvanquish.html

That's the cheapest sealed sub i or most people here would reccomend for a good HT sub. Yes, there are cheaper, but when you go sealed, you give up a TON of output for an increase in SQ.

eD is currently developing some new sealed subs that will be in the 55-700 range, if he wants to wait a bit that might be another option.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrimnir /forum/post/16937048

Well, i too listened to several subs in a local magnolia, including the RW-12d and the XW-300d, and i can say with 100% certainty that i would take my eD ported sub over either of those subs, any day. That being said, the HSU and SVS are both known for having better SQ than the eD subs, though you pay a bit more for it as well as better fit and finish.

If he, or you, are really interested in a sealed sub, you would want to look at Epik:

http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/sealedvanquish.html

That's the cheapest sealed sub i or most people here would reccomend for a good HT sub. Yes, there are cheaper, but when you go ported, you give up a TON of output for an increase in SQ.

eD is currently developing some new sealed subs that will be in the 55-700 range, if he wants to wait a bit that might be another option.

I've already recommended the Vanquish...see post #2.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
No love for the XW-500d? I got one a few months ago for lower than the OP stated with a few kicked in goodies for free and I think it's a great sub. Very controlled sound and not sloppy. (If that makes sense). Iron Man cave scene is crazy with this sub yet you can tell it's not even breaking a sweat

·
Registered
27 Posts
I picked one up to go along with the Klipsch XF Icons I have in a 7.1 configuration. This is in a dedicated media room 12*20 and it is very clean sounding bass. I have yet to turn this thing up all the way and it vibrates the movie posters on the walls! I am very happy with this sub. Initially I though about doing a 7.2 or even a 9.2, but IMO there is no need for another sub.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.