AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie to the Home Theater, but am getting excited about it. I have put together a list of stuff that I'd like to buy and am looking for opinions. Also, what little things will I need (cables, lights, etc.) that I might have forgotten? I haven't bought anything yet, and probably won't for 3-6 months, so the list could change by then, but here is a start. Please give whatever opinions you have!

NEC HT1000 Front Projector. I have read nothing but good things about this projector on these forums. (~$5000)

120" diagnal 4:3 screen. My wall will be about 12' across, so I was thinking about a 8' wide 4:3 screen. This will leave room for the speakers on either side. I'm not sure if I'll purchase a screen or go the DIY route. Maybe I'll create my own screen to start out with, and then buy one in the future. ($100-$2000)

Denon 3803. I bought a Denon reciever about 10 years ago and loved it. I decided on the 3803 because I couldn't afford the 5803 :D ($1200)

Adire Encompass. ( Adire Audio )

2 Kiris

3 Kanadas

1 Dharman

I first heard of Adire in Car audio Forums, and when I decided to build my Home Theater they were on the top of the list. I have also heard nothing but good things about their speakers. ($2100)

Home Theater PC

I work with computers for a living so this seems like a natural choice. I am still a little confused on what all the HTPC does. I know it will play DVDs, MP3s, and can be an HDTV reciever. What else will it do? ($1500)

DSS?

We currently have Directv. There is no Broadcast HDTV available in our area. What HD programming is available over Satelite? What new equipment will I need? Cable is not an option in our area. What will be needed to view local stations? Just an antena? ($?)

I'm thinking of two big couches for seats, with the back one raised.

How much can I expect cables/wires to cost for a setup like this?

Popcorn machine, movie posters, etc to be added in the future.

Anything I'm missing?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Quote:

How much can I expect cables/wires to cost for a setup like this?

You didn't provide details on the lenghts of your runs. But wire can have a wide price range depending on brands and what you're looking for.

Mid-priced cables (35-50' runs):

$100-$500: 3 cable component video run. (I spent $200 on mine)

$?: S-vid cable

$100-$2000: 5 runs (depends on wire gauge) (I spent around $300 here)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would consider a 16:9 screen instead of a 4:3. The trend is moving towards the 16:9 aspect ratio. You can already see it with most DVD's having the widescreen format. HDTV is also broadcast in 16:9, if I'm not mistaken. You can expect broadcast TV to follow suit at some point in the future. If you have a good 16:9 screen, it will easily handle 4:3 output and you will not have to upgrade to a widescreen in the future.

For speakers, you also might look at the PSB. They get rave reviews pretty much across the board and are very reasonable priced. I have a set of PSB Stratus Bronze for my fronts and PSB Alpha Mini's for my surrounds and they are superb. The PSB Image series is even more reasonably priced and has also gotten great reviews.

Personally, I would go with one couch and a couple of large chairs or recliners, instead of two couches.

The only thing I can see that you are missing is a good rack or stand to hold all your equipment. No point in putting all that nice gear in a crappy stand that vibrates, or isn't stable or attractive.

You can expect cables to cost between 10-20% of your total home theater budget. It can get a lot more expensive, but if you stick in this range, generally you will be OK.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason I decided on a 4:3 screen was because this would give me the largest screen possible. My limiting factor is the width of 8 feet. If I go with a 4:3 screen I can use all of the screen for 4:3 sources (8x6), and the whole width for 16:9 sources (8x4.5). If I went with a 16:9 screen I would be the same for 16:9 sources (8x4.5) but smaller for 4:3 sources (4.5x6).

Or am I missing something?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.