AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I bought Giel DDR3 ram $24, a Liteon dvd rom for $39 and windows 7 $85 on black friday sales. I am going to be getting a zacate ITX setup when they hit the market and dropping this stuff in. I only baught 2 gigs of ram as this is kind of a low horse power machine, think it will be enough for basic HTPC duty? Recording and playing over the air HD and playing blue ray discs, plus I'm going to use it for the Zwave home automation as its going to be an always on computer. My NAS will be an older athlon X2 2.5ghz with 2 gigs of ram running vista 64bit, it will sleep when not in use(currently my mom's computer). My current athlon II x2 3.0ghz system will be going to my mom with a new OCZ Agility 2 60gig SSD that I baught for her for xmas present. My current NAS athlon X2 2.0ghz 1 gig of ram, will be going in the dumpster unless somebody wants it. By the way my NAS's double as my desktop when I don't feel like using my laptop.

Anyways curious on your opinions, I think my mom will be blown away by the speed of her new setup mostly due to the fast SSD drive. I was tempted to get one for myself.

·
Registered
317 Posts
you don't mention your storage needs or requirements...if that's your whole setup, i'm wondering why the need of the "NAS" PC system? That's quite an additional power usage if all you're looking for is additional storage. Have you considered a bigger (or external) HDD for the ITX system?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadymg /forum/post/19571075

you don't mention your storage needs or requirements...if that's your whole setup, i'm wondering why the need of the "NAS" PC system? That's quite an additional power usage if all you're looking for is additional storage. Have you considered a bigger (or external) HDD for the ITX system?

Oh yeah, I have a 1.5 terrabyte WD green drive for it. I'm starting to collect a lot of video and also would like to back everything up. My 1.5 drive does seem to fill up when I don't get around to watching recorded TV shows. HD takes up a lot of space.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.