AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am tired of my polk monitor 50's. Size is no issue (my front wall is just my speakers/sub/wall mounted tv. My speakers can be up to 40" high and I have about 7' of width to put them in (the L C R). I really like floor standing. 90% movies/TV/Games and 10% music. I have a Bic F12 sub (next to try to build new) and some aurora Bass Shakers.

The polk dimensions are 35" x 7" x 9.63" ( incase it is better to just buy new 5.25" + tweeters for them).

So my thought was 1- Dayton dc28f-8 and 2 - Dayton dc200-8 in each box. All 3 speakers identical.

Each box would be 34" Tall x 11" wide x 12" deep. Tweeter -> woofer -> woofer, top to bottom.

Budget maybe $230 + wood/cross overs

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1
Unless you have the ability to measure and design crossovers you cant just pick random drivers. You happen to have lucked out though, as there is the Dayton 8 MTM project, which was designed by Wayne J. You could change the height, and depth of the box, but not the width.
Nice I will look into that, Make it deeper and shorter.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just editing my post, looks like for that my box would be like 2' deep :O. So size is an issue
. I think my dimensions are faily close to specs for a sealed box going off of http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com but I will take a look at WINisd.

I thought I could grab an x-over that would pass 2Khz to the tweeter and below to the woofers, is that wrong?

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighick
I was just editing my post, looks like for that my box would be like 2' deep :O. So size is an issue
. I think my dimensions are faily close to specs for a sealed box going off of http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com but I will take a look at WINisd.
I thought I could grab an x-over that would pass 2Khz to the tweeter and below to the woofers, is that wrong?
Yes, because off the shelf crossovers use theoretical values. Drivers are never flat or smooth in both frequency and impedance, so theoretical values never work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.