AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...my first post on the DVD Recorder area...I guess I've been building my Home Theater step by step and after getting the TV, the speakers and the receiver (all with the wife approval factor) now I'm ready for the DVD recorder...

I was researching DVDRs around $200 and this one popped up from Philips website...from what I read here, it looks like the Pioneers and the Sonys get all the praise but what about this Philips model?

Philips claims that it can write DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW and play DivX...not bad at all...title, chapter editing is also a plus....but any experiences out there with this unit whatsoever?

Thanks guys/gals! :)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Welcome to the DVD Recorder forum. Phillips doesn't get much play. Neither does the Sharp (I have the Sharp 300 which works very well and has an 80 gig HDD), Sylvania or Samsung models. The big 4 are Sony, Toshiba, Pioneer and Panasonic.

I can only recommend reading the various threads and posts. Lately JVC has been getting trashed. Before that ILO, LiteOn and Cyberhome and LG were in the spotlight for their problems. Even the big 4 have their shortcomings.

We will also need more info from you. Do you have a computer with a DVD burner hooked up to your HT system or separately? Do you have cable or Satellite. Do you want a model with a harddrive(HDD). Most serious DVD people insist on one. But it can more then double the price. For $200.00 the Phillips probably doesn't have a harddrive(HDD). If you insist on dual format+/- then check out the Sony 300. It has a MSRP of $300.00 but you can find them for less now that the Sony 315 is out. If $200.00 is your price point then check out the Panason ES10 or EH10 (I forget which is the current model). Not a dual format. But, has RAM.

Check Crutchfield, Amazon, Newegg, eCost and J&R.com for hardware prices. Check CNET, Videohelp, CDFreaks, Soundandvision.com or PC World.com for reviews.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ThankS for the reply Jay!

You have a point there...I didn't give you a lot of input...

I have digital cable, I don't need a Hard Drive and double format (+/-) is beneficial for compatibility purposes. Now, I don't have a DVD burner in my computer - could get one though, but I wouldn't count on it - So I'm looking into having a unit to record TV from the cable signal, from my video camera (old handycam), and from other DVDs...

Would this info be enough? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I made the mistake of thinking I did not need a hard drive in my DVD recorder. After about a year of frustation, I finally found a hard-drive DVD recorder on sale and bought it.

I strongly urge you to reconsider a hard-drive DVD recorder. They are 10 times more useful at twice the price. In my case, the total cost ended up being about 3X; 1X = DVDR w/o HD; 2X = DVDR w/HD.

In the end, it will be less expenxive to buy an HD DVDR now instead of later.

I am very happy with my 2 Pioneer units so far. Actually, I now only use the non-HD unit when the HD unit is being used for editing and copying and I want to dub from mini-DV camcorder to a VR-mode DVD at the same time. Then I immediately high-speed copy the result to the HD on the other unit so I can edit and duplicate.

The HD unit offers high-speed copy from HD to DVD-R that reduces copy time from real time (e.g., 2 hours) to 8-10 minutes. So, if you have a need to produce multiple copies from a single source, the HD unit is the only way to go.

These subjects are discussed at length in other threads here. Keep reading for a while before you buy. I have learned PLENTY here about the pro's and con's of HD vs. non-HD DVDR's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.