Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks:

My wife wants to get me a Pioneer DV-45A for Christmas (yea, I'm a lucky guy 8^) but I don't see any reviews here. I'd really like one box for DVD-A and SACD. My concern there is the quality of the bass management. Also, if the video is better than my Toshiba 4700, then I can get it out of my equipment stack too! Those who already have one, what do you think of this box?

Thanks.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Think you can manage $700-$800 and step up to the 47Ai? Its standard iLink digital interface is pretty compelling. Failing that, I'd advise going low rather than mid. Pioneer and Denon have some product announcements coming out in January that should make the future of hirez audio a bit clearer than it is presently. Good luck.

Austin

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yes, but isn't the 45a the only one with bass management for all formats?

I believe the bass management is done in the digital domain and then sent to the D/A converters, meaning it should be completely transparent.

I was only able to find one review of the 45a, yet the posts I read spoke of mediocre reviews. The review I read was in Sound and Vision magazine. Looking online for user reviews I only found glowing reviews except for one that clearly came from someone promoting their own agenda. They gave the wrong price as what they paid (200 dollars MORE than full retail) and spent half the time saying how great the sony 9000ES was.

I'm interested in getting this player because of it's universal playing ability, I don't plan on using it for any video. I've gone to my local Tweeter shop to listen to it myself. I met up with the cliche inept salesman, but I plan on going back during a slow time so I can do a more thourough listening session. But from what I heard so far I don't see where people are coming up with these ho-hum responses to this affordable and universal player.

And just in case one thinks I haven't heard "good" SACD playback, I've listened to the Sony ES model (it was the second one to come out, two channel for 3,500 US) on a Krell Pre-amp and Krell FPB 600W/ch, and Thiel CS 6 speakers, with MIT cable throughout.

Mike

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
If you're talking sonics, the European version was the What HiFi product of the year. It is the DV-656A. Please not this is not the same as the US 656A.

Hope this helps.

Steve

·
Registered
478 Posts
mnilan,

I too had concerns about the 100Hz crossover used on the 45A - but not anymore. I sometimes tend to get all wrapped up in the technical specs and usually come to find out that it's a non-issue in the real world. As "otzdig" mentioned, read the review in Sound and Vision for their impression and the specifications.

My opinion of the 45A - fantastic player! It's my first DVD player upgrade in five years (had a Panny A-310). I wanted a universal player so that I had access to all high-res audio formats NOW - I didn't want to keep chasing the technology and miss out on the experience.

The 100Hz crossover point blends just fine musically and works with all formats. Time adjustment (speaker distance) applies to all but SACD. Even here, unless you listen all the time sitting in the sweet spot, it's likely going to be audibly unnoticable.

From a video standpoint, I use a front projection 100" screen and the image looks crisp and colorful. Layer transitions are quicker than my old Panny.

New players are sure to come soon - but I don't think you'll regret receiving this player. I sure don't.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I've posted quite a few times with the experience I've had with this player. I also have the panasonic RP-91.

What specifics do you need to know to convince you to pick this player up?

Yes Bass Management and Use it for video to Replace your Toshiba.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is a bit off-topic but here goes: I have a 47ai but the issue is the same--what are you using to hook up 6 channel output to your rec/amp? Are there available 6 into 1 back out to 6 options to minimize cable clutter? I know I can reduce to 3 by using stereo pairs, and perhaps to two using some video/stereo 3 to 1 to 3 options. What are people doing to avoid this cable clutter? Thanks. btw--by 6 to 1 to 6 I mean such options that monster provides where you have multiple rca endings at hookup that combine to one cable then reopen for hooking up at the other end.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The Pioneer 45A is a fantastic player for that price! I compared the same to the 47Ai, the bigger brother and in the end decided to go with the 47Ai as I needed the ilink capability.

The best part of 45A is that it plays all the available audio-video formats and really does a great job. The 45A may be similar to both 47A and Ai in several areas. Therefore i suggest you read the following comprehensive reviews for the 47A in the Widescreen magazine. I have never seen such a complete and comprehensive review for a DVD player before.

for video details:

http://www.widescreenreview.com/wsrm..._erpioneer.pdf

for audio details:

http://www.widescreenreview.com/wsrm...4erpioneer.pdf

FYI, the 656A is the UK equivalent of 45A in US and has received excellent reviews.

For me the 47Ai has been extremely satisfying.

·
Registered
432 Posts
You use the iLink to connect the 47Ai to compatible receivers/pre-pros. The only unit currently handling standard 1394 A&M is the Pioneer 49TXi receiver. There will be more iLink-enabled processors as people demand them. You might therefore consider goosing the other manufacuters about their plans to support this digital audio interface. B&K would be a good start since their products feature a 1394 connector that is supposedly upgradable to handle iLink communications. Good luck.

Austin

Quote:
Originally posted by jjson
This is a bit off-topic but here goes: I have a 47ai but the issue is the same--what are you using to hook up 6 channel output to your rec/amp? Are there available 6 into 1 back out to 6 options to minimize cable clutter? I know I can reduce to 3 by using stereo pairs, and perhaps to two using some video/stereo 3 to 1 to 3 options. What are people doing to avoid this cable clutter? Thanks. btw--by 6 to 1 to 6 I mean such options that monster provides where you have multiple rca endings at hookup that combine to one cable then reopen for hooking up at the other end.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I think the Monster Cable really only does the equivalent of wrapping all the cables into one sheath. Some electrical tape or bands of velcro will probably achieve a similar effect, though not quite as nice.

Cable clutter is a consideration, as I have quite a few components already. That's why the 45a is such an attractive alternative. One box for all formats and you wouldn't even need an outboard bass manager.

No, there's no distance adjustment for SACD, but that's because so far it doesn't exist yet.

Plus, it's less expensive than the other full featured DVD players (Yamaha, Marantz, Onkyo) that will be out too.

Mike

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Folks:

Thanks for your replies. I think that audio and video formats are going to be an ongoing issue (e.g., blue versus red laser HD-DVDs) and I am interested in simplifying my live NOW. So, I take away from your input that the 45A will reduce the cable clutter, will allow reasonable bass management out of the DVD player, and I can relegate my Tosh DVD to the bedroom! I'm going to tell my wife that I DO want the 45A for Christmas!

Thanks all! 8^)

·
Registered
272 Posts
IXOS makes special cables for dvd-a and sacd that are bundled neatly. Go to www.accessories4less.com and look under cables and wire. Priced around $60 to $70.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Excellent, I will be ordering those IXOS cables this a.m. Thanks for the reference. On this subject, I have some very high end cables I used for composite out (3 rca for left and right and video) that go 3 to 1 to 3 and help with clutter. I assume I can use those for component hookup (i.e., is there anything special about yb, yr, etc., that will not work in this case?) Thanks again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.