AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Carpet goes in next weekend so I am beginning to design my masking system. For the control interface, what are the opinions about selecting a preset 16/9 or scope setting vs manual control where you just have open and close? How often are movies spot on with the aspect ratio? Does a person need to manually tweak the masking much?

Would a Jog Dial type interface work well for manually setting the masking position? Where you would dial in the amount of masking?

-Suntan

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
IMO, I think presets would be close enough 99.9% of the time and you'd want to have those presets to support automation. If you're really picky you'd probably want jog on top of that, but I still think presets would be indispensable in getting you in the neighborhood.

Someone in another thread mentioned the availability of PLCs for use with Somfy motors. That sounded interesting but my lazy lack of searching didn't find anything specific.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Movie aspect ratios are all over the place, except for the classic 4:3 ratio.

CinemaScope originally started out at 2.66 :1, then 2.55, and then 2.35. There are a lot of CinemaScope films which are NOT 2.35. Then you have Todd AO, Technirama, UltraPanavision, eTC eTC, and all these films hit the home digital disc at ratios which are not 2.35.

So, if you want to do the right thing, your masking system must accomodate all ratios from 1.33 to about 2.85. My DIY CIH masking system has fixed settings at 1.33 and 2.35. I get 16:9 by manually jogging (no big deal), and for ratios greater than 2.35 I stay at the full width of the 2.35 screen and power down the top masking bar- in other words I revert to a CIW system for film aspect ratios above 2.35.

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both. Kinda along the lines of what I thought. Right now I have a half baked plan of a jog dial with max limits of 4/3 and scope, and a detent at 16/9. That way a person could pick any of the three relatively easily, but be able to tweak it when needed.

-Suntan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts