AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently looking into treating the living room with acoustic panels and bass traps. GIK Acoustics seems to carry very high quality products but with shipping costs, it is a bit more than I would like to spend. I'm not interested in DIY as I know i'd probably muck up the appearance. I live in southern California and have found this website: http://lasoundpanels.com/ . It seems to be a small service run by 1 or 2 guys and the prices make it a very attractive option for me, especially considering I can save on shipping. The dimensions of their panels and bass traps are similar to GIK's, but they use different insulation material I believe, utilizing 2" thick "roxul". Another benefit is that they can custom-build panels, which I believe isn't possible with GIK (I need shorter tri traps.) I'm planning on requesting a few sound panels and triangle traps from their available options: http://lasoundpanels.com/our-panels but want to confirm with more knowledgeable individuals here on the forum.

Can I get some opinions on these products (based on info on their website) and does anybody have any experience with "roxul" in particular? Would it be worth it to spend an extra hundred dollars for GIK's panels?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Well, there are several products produced by roxul, each of which has it's own acoustic properties.

Remember these are not wrapped with GOM by default (looks like burlap?), so get a quote with your fabric of choice and find out exactly which roxul product they are using.

Tim

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,682 Posts
in this table you can find the comparisons of the various materials used in those panels.

Just a FYI, there aren't many simpler DIY projects than building similar acoustical panels.

Build a wood frame, insert insulation of choice, wrap with fabric, staple on the back, mount on the wall. REPEAT

http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Keep in mind that panels like our 244 is actually 5.5" thick and built with a 2 frame system vs just a normal stuffed frame. Also keep in mind that we use a Ecose which is 2 to 3 times as much as mineral wool. Yes shipping is not cheap.
Quote:
GIK Acoustics uses sound absorption insulation with ECOSE technology. Unlike most competing products, it is manufactured from naturally occurring and/or recycled raw materials and bonded using a bio-based technology free from formaldehyde, phenols, acrylics and with no artificial colors, bleaches or dyes. ECOSE reduces energy consumption and pollutants stemming from the production process and is therefore more fully recyclable than standard mineral wool or fiberglass. The absorptive core has earned the toughest indoor air quality certification in the industry, GREENGUARD™, which is certified to meet CHPS Low-Emitting Materials criteria section 01350. GIK Acoustics treatments with ECOSE technology are easy on air quality for your room, the environment, and your budget.

Maybe all of that is not worth the couple bucks to you but just want to be able to point it out for others. We really do try to give as much of a value as possible through working with our customers with set up (acoustical advice) and also the product itself.

And yes we do custom size panels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts